First day with synfig and bug :(

Hey Everyone!

I’m new to the whole game of animation. I’m not new to Open-Source and Free Culture, which I actively promote.

So of course when I wanted to work with animation (mainly inspired by the work of Nina Paley) I chose Libre!

Really excited, I started with tutorials. I saw a tutorial based on this:

wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Animation_Basics

And then proceeded to follow all the steps myself.

The problem came when rendering to gif. It crashed!

Here’s the error message:

(synfigstudio.exe:1020): glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type unknown) in signal handler

I’m using the 64-bit 0.64.2 version on a 64 bit Windows 7

Will give any further details that might be deemed necessary.

Can anyone help?

Keep up the good work!

Difficult to reproduce because it seems to be architecture related.
You can help a bit to narrow the problem if:

1. You can confirm that you can or cannot export to png target or ffmpeg target. This would let us know if it is a specific problem of gif target or the render system.
  2. You confirm that you choose Magick++, Auto or ImageMagick as target for a gif extension at the render dialog.
  3. You show the whole output of the terminal (black window) before you close the error message window.

-G

Hi,

I’m experiencing the exact same issue. I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Answering your question:
1.) Exporting as .png worked fine for me. So did ffmpeg.
2.) imagemagick crashed with: (synfigstudio.exe:6972): glibmm-Error **: unhandled exception (type unknown) in signal handler

• magick++: the same, but in line(?) 7648
  • auto: 7884 …
    3.) for ‘gif’ as selected output, the terminal gives the following output:
D:\Programme\Synfig\bin>synfigstudio.exe

synfig studio -- Anwendung starten...

synfig(8080) [23:25:15] info: Loading modules from D:\Programme\Synfig\etc\synfi
g_modules.cfg
synfig(8080) [23:25:15] info: Loading plugins from D:\Programme\Synfig\share\syn
fig\plugins
synfig(8080) [23:25:15] info:    Loading plugin: add-skeleton-simple
synfig(8080) [23:25:15] info:    Loading plugin: view-unhide-all-layers
synfig(8080) [23:25:15] info: Loading plugins from C:\Users\dher\Synfig\plugins

(synfigstudio.exe:8080): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface
 (GtkTreeModel) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_KeyframeTreeStore) after class_ini
t

(synfigstudio.exe:8080): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface
 (GtkTreeDragSource) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_KeyframeTreeStore) after clas
s_init

(GtkTreeDragDest) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_KeyframeTreeStore) after class_
init

(synfigstudio.exe:8080): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property gtkmm_
_CustomObject_N6studio17CellRenderer_TimeE::time after class was initialised

(synfigstudio.exe:8080): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property gtkmm_
_CustomObject_N6studio17CellRenderer_TimeE::fps after class was initialised

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_ValueBaseE::value after class was initialis
ed

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_ValueBaseE::canvas after class was initiali
sed

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_ValueBaseE::param-desc after class was init
ialised

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_ValueBaseE::value-desc after class was init
ialised

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_ValueBaseE::child-param-desc after class wa
s initialised

_CustomObject_N6studio15ValueBase_EntryE::editing-canceled after class was initi
alised

(GtkCellEditable) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_N6studio15ValueBase_EntryE) aft
er class_init

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_TimeTrackE::value-desc after class was init
ialised

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_TimeTrackE::canvas after class was initiali
sed

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_TimeTrackE::adjustment after class was init
ialised

_CustomObject_N6studio22CellRenderer_TimeTrackE::enable-timing-info after class
was initialised

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Hope that helps. I’ll try to continue the tutorial with another rendering option …

(Although I’m interested in what the solution to the problem will finally be …)

UPDATE:

After hitting ctrl-c in the console, another few lines were put out:

synfig(8080) [23:28:11] error: 3 canvases not yet deleted!
synfig(8080) [23:28:11] error: 2 layers not yet deleted!
synfig(8080) [23:28:11] info: DockManager::unregister_dockable(): "pal_edit" has
 been Unregistered
pure virtual method called
terminate called without an active exception

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

And after that the cmd.exe from which I launched froze in a way that pressing ctrl-c again has no effect. The synfigstudio.exe process is still running and can only be killed with a kill signal (taskmanager, process monitor, …).

Hope this update enlightens some people :slight_smile:

I am also experiencing this same exact error. I’m using Synfig 0.64.2 on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I am also able to export as .png and .ffmpeg.
When I try to render a .gif with the target of either gif or magick++, then I get the pop up error and the program crashes.

Hi looking_eye and coollittlealien, your information is very useful. We would try to make our possible to fix those targets on those platforms.
-G

Hi,

good to hear that. I have to admit that I’m quite greatful that only .gif export does not work - could have been far worse …

Cheers

gif under debian wheezy /

Target auto & imagemagick (ImageMagick 6.7.7-10 2014-03-08 Q16 imagemagick.org)

a gif file is created but with corrupted data :

synfig(8320) [19:08:05] info: 'gif' is a known extension - using target 'imagemagick'

(synfigstudio:8320): glibmm-ERROR **: 
unhandled exception (type unknown) in signal handler

convert.im6: Fin de fichier inattendue `-': No such file or directory @ error/rgb.c/ReadRGBImage/229.

target gif :

a file is created with 0 size… and :

synfigstudio: /XXXX/synfig/install/include/ETL/_surface.h:349: etl::surface<T, AT, VP>::iterator_x etl::surface<T, AT, VP>::operator[](const int&) [with T = synfig::Color; AT = synfig::Color; VP = synfig::ColorPrep; etl::surface<T, AT, VP>::iterator_x = synfig::Color*]: Assertion `data_' failed.

looking_eye, coollittlealien can you please tell us what Magick++ and ImageMagick version you are using.

Hello, everyone!
Sorry for the trouble with that bug. We have fixed this issue and will provide a bugfix release for that. Unfortunately, I can’t promise to do that earlier then 1st of December.

Until then, Windows users please use the custom build provided here - Synfig Studio 0.64.2 - Release Candidate

Again, my apologies for inconvenience.

Regards,
K.

Great news !!! i will test that quickly !

Hi Guys,

I’ve just registered in order to let you know that I had exactly the same problem, so I tried the link provided above by Zelgadis, and it turned out that now it works brilliantly without any problems.

Now I can render animations in any format.

Thank you so much for your time!

Schrodingerscat welcome here… !

now render gif fine also under debian (using custom build…), magick++ target missing, but this will be fixed i’m sure … Bug report #702 - Render as gif crash

I believe I have this same crash on my mac. Just installed Synfig. Tried following the first animated gif tutorial. When I try to render KnightRider.gif the entire application crashes.

We have published a new builds with a fix for this issue - synfig.org/cms/en/news/synfi … candidate/