February '11 - A Synfig Mascot

Wow - 4 days into February already, and that slacker hasn’t posted this month’s challenge. Maybe we’ll keep this one open for a couple of months as February is so short.

As discussed in this thread, the challenge this month is to make a mascot for Synfig. Something a bit warmer/fuzzier/cuter than the Synfig shield logo perhaps?

Chris

I just realized almost a month has gone by without a contribution by me :blush: . And only one more day to go!

Don’t worry - you’re not the only one. I’ve only gotten as far as sketching some ideas out on a tablecloth. (It was one of those Italian restaurants where they have a piece of paper on the table and give you crayons to play with while you wait for your food.)

I’m actually wondering if it’s time to give the challenges a break for a while. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of participation. Am I choosing the wrong challenges? Not firing up imaginations? Too technically difficult? Or are people just too busy?

Thoughts anyone?
Chris

In my opinion, it is just a time of quietness on Synfig community. Some of the people who entered in the previous challenges are busy with other stuff (included me). I think that the Synfig’s mascot is a great challenge to re-pick later, when the Synfig’s community excitation were higher so we can obtain great entries.

Maybe, to invite participation, it is better to propose the challenge with an entry. This would imply more work to the challenger because he would have done the challenge before propose. In this way, just pick up an old challenge and submit an entry would provoke someone to participate.

Possibly, monthly, implies some sort of obligation, and it is not funny at all… because this is just for fun, right? :wink:
-G

I’m agree with Genete. Personally I would have liked to participate in recent challenges, but I’m really busy right now. I hope to have more free time in a couple of months (my favorite cartoon is waiting for me :smiley: )

Anyway, some challenges have been much more participation than other (remember October '10 Challenge)

especially for those who recently joined the forum.

There seems to be a discrepancy between the number of people using synfig and the number of people actually participating in the forums and taking part in the challenges. I’ve no idea why this is, but based on the number of youtube users posting synfig-made animations i’d expect this place to be a bit busier.

I think that’s a good idea. You could literally challenge the other users to come up with something.