Experimenting with Synfig Studio (Advanced Outlines)

Lucky Day!

click picture and see a bunny ^^

I built this nice castle.

If you like castles, click the picture ^^

all past experiments can be found in this YT playlist

3 times revised mission statement: The ability to grow (both technically and visually, silly pun) is a key advantage vector has over raster graphics. Whether you need 2D animations or a few special effects, Synfig Studio provides its own little charm.

1 Like

Working with synfig dev version you have experimented crash also, is’t it ? Are they reproducible ? Can you report them (if not already reported…)

Tank’s for testing, and enjoying next next release…

Random crash when I press Undo. I don’t think this is enough to figure out the problem, it’s more like a symptom.

More videos to come. :smiley:

Bugs have been encountered.

Positive note, one segment of a growing vine could be emulated very easily from what I learned so far.

Anything more complicated however…

imgur.com/a/RYIgn#10

rendering entirely as vectors… all good

too slow in general (1 hour for the 1 minute clip), 1 minute of waiting on load.

I tried a list. A very easy way to pull this off was devised, I could put the scene together manually in about 15 minutes.
however…

I’ll see if this is a known bug. I need to use another program to finish any growing plants. Synfig does get them started. So it’s still cool.

x0.225 scale video. Actual video is incomplete, but this looked too cool to let it sit around another minute.

Interesting work … maybe the caste filling could be less rigid ? like a wave for example…

I think I know what you meant. Does the final version look smooth enough?

youtu.be/SDiNu8tFyg4

edit: the making of video. Estimated 10 hours in 30 minutes. youtu.be/G9WK0e3360o
edit2: it was 10 hours, I’m not sure why I thought it was 20 originally.

The idea behind this is. What can I make with few strokes, which would be interesting to animate?
ta-da

Simply put, each major detail is advanced outlines.
Details get doubled for shading.
The detailed shadow is copied after the animation is finished,
that’s all.

All child layers selected. It almost looks like it was done in so few strokes, maybe it looks impossible.

Ha ha, nice! If the dog’s head would follow the ball properly it would be perfect! :stuck_out_tongue:
-G

The animation is pretty elaborate.

Synfig has serious potential. But not enough is being automated yet. I just grazed the surface of Adding animated parameters together.

1 Like

really nice result…

The doggy was sort of a controlled, unrecorded practice.

Time-lapse video, drawing a hand… I’ll update it later so it’s a glove. But now it’s a hand.

youtu.be/nlTsHcs5Ay0

this

Something to look forward to. A self-portrait.

I’ll definitely use this modelling method more. I think the fingers are convincing.
Maybe when I draw a complex structure like a fingernail, it could use a regular spline. But I didn’t consider it, at least not yet.

Can details stick properly?
I know, not great. But this image actually answers, yes. The fingernails are the only detail, but they follow, at least as well as you can expect. With no additional effort animating those details than to drag the spline they’re linked to.

I used the follow path (spline) trick. The origin and a rotate layer origin are all linked and placed on the spline here, and while at rest the rotation is 0. As the finger moves, the rotation adjusts automatically.

Actually, I haven’t considered what usefulness carrying details the follow path trick could have until now. So it seems important.

The remaining problem is the outlines stretch in a bit of an unruly manner, making this realistic hand kind of flimsy once it gets going.

I have considered a way to imitate bone restriction for individual spline segments, (and I thought maybe bones would involve waypoint weighting originally) there’s no reasonable way to achieve it without programming. Pretty much as long as the distance remains constant, the bones look solid; the tangents would be manually adjusted; and there’d need to be a switch that lets you turn the distance lock on and off for flexible animation. I’m not ready to do that yet, but programming’s on my mind, can’t help bringing it up sometimes.

That is a pretty amazing effect considering the simplicity behind it. :open_mouth:

I think you’re onto something with lots of potential here.

Thanks Yoyobuae, I was thinking I might finally be getting up to speed.

an advanced outline critter, actually this is my self portrait:

I think they’re easy to make, and too streamlined, it’s obvious if something is or isn’t entirely outlines. They could also be notable for the ease of animation and stretchyness. I haven’t had a chance to show off the positive aspect of stretchy animation much.

More up to date now.

Next. I carefully detail and reshape bunny, I explain a lot in this video and continue to experiment, only 1/3 of the video is time-lapse, I also tried subtitles again, sorry if that makes it hard to watch without pausing:

Some kind of bug in xmedia recode settings held my video quality back until now. Finally, you can read words on the screen.

In case you’re wondering why this post is so long. I kinda went overboard.

I primed for the next section of the experiment and tested many of the layers I never tried yet.
This brush method could also boldster the animation of objects following splines:
wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Brushes

Duplicate doesn’t feel stable. But I still kinda like it.

With a snake animation I compared duplicating and curve warp as the brush. I don’t want to spend a lot of time formulating a comparison report here. Here are some screenshots.

scale detail along the spline
curve-warped a 21 x 400 pixel image 7 seconds

duplicated a 21 x 22 image 10x 12 seconds

I think this is when I duplicated vectors composed of a circle and many polygons 100x, 32 seconds (the vector results arent’t much different from image, but it crashed a lot more, too many vertices I think)

Here I used duplicate in a way I wouldn’t use curve-warp…

I might be focused on some game stuff and programming for a while. When I have time I’ll gradually animate to finalize experiment 3.

I’ve got a snake video to process, I’ll drop that here a bit sooner.

Another well done, you are mastering the Advanced Outlines , keep it up sharing your progresses, howto and results …

I want to say, “a must see thread” … !

Thanks for any previous work anyone has done with this software.

here is a scary snake. result only. The recording of drawing it seemed out of place in this series.
youtu.be/-PlNh9W6axY

What I’ve done in this experiment series so far is explore an unconventional use of the outlines, partially replacing the use of regions, and I think I’ve very nearly reached the extent of that particular use. I think that sounds right.

I’m practicing with the hand a bit, and I’ve started to make a short video with the bunny. I can’t tell for sure which video will be finished first.

Hopefully, it won’t seem like I took too long. :wink:

Short video. A wild bunny finds something while exploring, lucky day!
youtu.be/dxr2qJJykzk

preview pic:

With or without use of Advanced Outlines, animation of rabbit is excellent!
-G