Examples of Synfig 1.0.2 new features

Hello,
Related with this announcement:
synfig.org/cms/en/news/synfi … -released/

I wish to ask about examples or more explanation about how to use:

• Group Layer now have “Speed” parameter to adjust the playback of child layers. Thanks to Max May. How can I use it?

• Allow to convert “Time” type to “Real”. Thanks to Max May.How can I use it?

• Dropdown list for Switch Group to choose active layer. Thanks to Max May… can I convert this parameter?

• New convert type: Reverse. Allows to reverse lists, strings, spline points, segments, gradients, width points and dash items (read more). Thanks to Max May. How can I use it?

• The “Add” convert type now supports reverse manipulations for Real and Angle values. How does it works?

Or there is information in the wiki?

Greetings

I can understand your frustration … but you need to know that those strange people behind the code usually do’nt like to explain what they do …

Anyway, to go in the direction of your question, i want to say that some of the new features are quite self explanatory

• convert “Time” type to “Real” (see convert page of the wiki)
  • dropdown list for Switch Group to choose active layer (see example of switch group usage, before you needed to write down the layer you want to activate, now you’hv got a select box)

FOr sure i agree, the doc need to follow the code … i try to do it (if you check the wiki recent and less recent change you will understand … ) …

Hello
I wasn’t saying it as a rant. Sorry if I expressed myself wrong.
I can say that the developers are doing an excellent job with Synfig, using part of their time for free.

However, I do want some samples of the new features on Synfig, before of trying myself :slight_smile: . Right now, I have Synfig 1.0.2 but it’s a developer version, before the announce of synfig 1.0.2 as a new version (really :slight_smile: , hope it make sense).

-In this version I see the velocity parameter in the Group Layer, but I don’t see it affects the animation.

• I guess that the reverse conversion it’s like Inkscape’s function “reverse path”. Beyond of that, I wish to know if it can do something else

• With the Switch layer: I didn’t try so mutch this but, If you converted the active layer parameter in Switch layer to a string layer and then convert it again in a concatenation, and then linked to a duplicate layer, If you had the child layers named “progressively”, … you had a “gun machine” :smiley:. Now that the active layer parameter is a choose list, it helps to change layers when animating, but the option of have a “gun machine” is lost. Unless you can convert it.

• About “time” to “real” conversion: I have no idea how to use it.

Thanks for your answer and Greetings

Have you tried to set it to zero? it would stop the animation. A value of one makes the animation run at normal speed and a value of two makes it run double speed. Minus one reverses the animation.

-G

Now I’ve tried again, and I recognize I was doing kind of bad assumptions. It alters the animation of the child animated layers in the group, not the group layer itself. However, I guess I have to get familiarized with this conversion. I’ve made a sample, varying the velocity parameter in the time… which leads to different acceleration.
Animación Synfig 2.sifz (1.32 KB)

i have mixed your comments, and the doc is improved : wiki.synfig.org/Group_Layer#Para … oup_Layers

Hello
Thanks d.j.a.y.

I’m still wondering how to use the reverse conversion in an animation…
I have to say that recently I wished to have an “absolute value” conversion. Instead I had to use a “vector length” or “vector magnitude” conversion, which requires a vector value.

So. I’m leaving this topic open, If anyone else wants to share more information