Errors when packaging Synfig under macOS Monterey

Hi,

I was able to build Synfig under a clean copy of macOS Monterey, it works great =)
Now I would like to build the app and here is where it fails:

[ 61%] Generating ../../output/Debug/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/synfigstudio.mo
[ 61%] Generating ../../output/Debug/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/synfigstudio.mo
[ 61%] Built target build_pofiles_synfigstudio
[ 61%] Generating ../output/Debug/share/appdata/org.synfig.SynfigStudio.appdata.xml
Generating and caching the translation database
Merging translations into /Users/administrador/GitHub/synfig/cmake-build/output/Debug/share/appdata/org.synfig.SynfigStudio.appdata.xml.
CREATED /Users/administrador/GitHub/synfig/cmake-build/output/Debug/share/appdata/org.synfig.SynfigStudio.appdata.xml
[ 61%] Built target appdata_xml
[ 61%] Generating ../output/Debug/share/applications/org.synfig.SynfigStudio.desktop
Found cached translation database
Merging translations into /Users/administrador/GitHub/synfig/cmake-build/output/Debug/share/applications/org.synfig.SynfigStudio.desktop.
[ 61%] Built target desktop_file
[ 61%] Generating ../../output/Debug/share/synfig/icons/classic/128x128/about_icon.png
Fontconfig warning: ignoring UTF-8: not a valid region tag
synfig(3321) [14:16:08] warning: logo.sif:<bool>:290: Layer 'super_sample' rejected value for parameter 'scanline'
synfig(3321) [14:16:08] warning: logo.sif:<bool>:293: Layer 'super_sample' rejected value for parameter 'alpha_aware'
/bin/sh: line 1:  3321 Segmentation fault: 11  /Users/administrador/GitHub/synfig/cmake-build/output/Debug/bin/synfig about_icon.sif -o /Users/administrador/GitHub/synfig/cmake-build/output/Debug/share/synfig/icons/classic/128x128/about_icon.png --time 0f --quiet
make[2]: *** [output/Debug/share/synfig/icons/classic/128x128/about_icon.png] Error 139
make[1]: *** [synfig-studio/images/CMakeFiles/build_images.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any idea?

Thanks

Synfig (core / cli) is built and the produced executable is then used to produce the icons (from .sif/.sifz files) that will be used in SynfigStudio (GUI).
Sometimes the .sif/.sifz files have been produced with older versions of Synfig and some parameters and/or layers have been removed from newer versions (yeah, that sucks…)
Here “about_icon.sif” is bugged because of “logo.sif” for Layer ‘super_sample’ (rejected values for parameters ‘scanline’ AND ‘alpha_aware’).
“about_icon” requires “logo” to be built but it crashes and segfault.

You can find a similar bug and the workaround here: Segmentation fault when building icons ¡ Issue #2787 ¡ synfig/synfig ¡ GitHub
(PR here ci: disabled `mod_magickpp` in macOS builds by ice0 ¡ Pull Request #2790 ¡ synfig/synfig ¡ GitHub)
It appears with CMake (like in your case) but not with autotools.

Sometimes modifications in the code have more side effects than expected… :confused:

1 Like

Yeah!
I reverted the changes of PR https://github.com/synfig/synfig/pull/2790 and it worked, I finally could get the .app and .dmg

I guess you are right about the side effect…

Thank you for your help!