Crashing about 20 times per hour

Ill get it done in a bit. I also noticed just clicking any where on the screen can make it crash pretty often.

Try opening the project in version 1.4.4 and try again

Well, it seems you’ve imported an mp4 file into synfig. Just to let you know synfig doesn’t work well with mp4 files. Convert them into png sequence files and import them as image sequence if you want to work with videos in synfig.

Ive never used an mp4 in synfig. Also i have about 50 projects that all do the same thing. I use synfig to the minimum pretty much. Just png and jpeg. But i keep seeing to try version 1.4.4 but that version has the same issues and doesnt have the nice waypoint editor.

Oh also another thing. Sometimes ill be working and saving after every change. Then synfig will crash but the weird thing is ive lost up to 10 changes. Saving throughout. That means the save file never updated

Hello, a lurker here, but I gotta join in since I have a bit of a hunch…

Does your project have anything in the sets panel, or have you added anything into some sets before? Because there’s a chance that could be why (at least I think…). But if not, then I’m not so sure what the cause is…

Ive never used sets. I can take a clean install on a random computer and just start crashing it by editing rotation, scale, anything transformation related. And layers of course. Just layers of groups. Groups of pngs or jpgs. Or created art in synfig put into a group. It happens way more if i havent touched anything yet. For example… i have a group i dodnt rotate yet. If i go to rotate it itll most likely crash. After crashing once or more itll mostly stop but can still randomly happen.

Try this build MorevnaCloud

1 Like

interesting… might have something to do with the project file then…

Usually when the errors are consistent across most versions of Synfig (including very late ones), there is a chance that the project file might have gotten ‘tangled’ somewhere within itself (as in broken).
I had somewhat similar problem, although it was for a totally different issue. Long story short, one of the sets in my project file was the culprit.

The part where you said the crash frequency drops a little bit, after one or several crashes beforehand, also piqued me a bit (I might had that same issue, but that was waayyy long ago)

Does this also happen everytime you start with a fresh file?
(Edit: Now that I read your reply again, I’m starting to think this question sounded very silly, but please answer anyway, just to make sure.

btw do you have autosave option on? I found a topic in this forum that somewhat describes your problem quite closely, and they said turning autosave off fixes it for them)

I can’t even get this build to crash. Night and day. Thank you sir. Problem solved.

1 Like

My grade for Synfig’s stability goes from D- to A. maybe A+ gotta try more.

1 Like

also I like all the little extras. the space behind 0 on the timeline, the layer bar when you move layers and the red save before exit button.

there’s one thing i would like to see improved… opening a project made on one computer and opened on another computer is funky. have to load each image one by one instead of specifying the folder for missing files. if that is already improved and i don’t know please let me know.

with that build you sent me i’ve been using it for a couple hours and it finally crashed once. when just clicking on a layer. amazing performance compared to other versions

Well I just found something weird. noise distort won’t effect anything. I have an enormous background on this project, this only one this big. i’ll see if other projects have this issue.

To make a project portable so that you can work on it in different pcs:

1. Create a folder in the file manager.
  2. Put all the images/assets you’re going to use in your project in that folder.
  3. Open synfig, create your project, import your files and save that project file (sifz/sif) in that folder only.
  4. That’s it. You can copy that folder to any pc and you won’t have to import images again and again.

It could be because your viewport rendering is set to “draft”. Or, as you said, the background image is enormous so software renderer of synfig is taking forever to render.
So I’d advise you to use low quality images with synfig as Synfig doesn’t make use of hardware acceleration. And using something as intensive as noise distortion on a large hi res image could crash synfig.

That’s very weird.

Do you mean when dragging the layers in the Layers Panel or on the work area?