Building on Ubuntu 64bit make fail

I am running a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 64bit with all updated packages. I have followed the directions on http://synfig.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=972 but no luck. All the preliminary packages were already installed, as verified by apt-get. A copy of the source code was git (got? gitted?) today.

Running the bash script (build.sh) is fine until about “…modules/mod_palette/dock_paledit.cpp…” when make crashes.

/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -DIMAGE_DIR=\"/synfig/synfig/install/share/pixmaps/synfigstudio\" -DIMAGE_EXT=\"png\" "-DLOCALEDIR=\"/synfig/synfig/install/share/locale\"" -DNDEBUG -O2 -W -Wall -MT synfigstudio-state_fill.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/synfigstudio-state_fill.Tpo -c -o synfigstudio-state_fill.o `test -f 'states/state_fill.cpp' || echo './'`states/state_fill.cpp
modules/mod_palette/dock_paledit.cpp: In member function ‘void studio::Dock_PalEdit::on_save_pressed()’:
modules/mod_palette/dock_paledit.cpp:257: error: aggregate ‘stat s’ has incomplete type and cannot be defined
modules/mod_palette/dock_paledit.cpp:258: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct stat’
modules/mod_palette/dock_paledit.cpp:257: error: forward declaration of ‘struct stat’
make[2]: *** [synfigstudio-dock_paledit.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
mv -f .deps/synfigstudio-state_eyedrop.Tpo .deps/synfigstudio-state_eyedrop.Po
mv -f .deps/synfigstudio-state_fill.Tpo .deps/synfigstudio-state_fill.Po
mv -f .deps/synfigstudio-state_draw.Tpo .deps/synfigstudio-state_draw.Po
make[2]: Leaving directory `/synfig/synfig/synfig-studio/src/gui'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1nfigstudio-state_eyedrop.Tpo .deps/synfigstudio-state_eyedrop.Po
mv -f .deps/synfigstudio-state_fill.Tpo .deps/synfigstudio-state_fill.Po
mv -f .deps/synfigstudio-state_draw.Tpo 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/synfig/synfig/synfig-studio/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

synfig (core) compiles seems to be compiled though. I tried building synfig both before and after running sudo apt-get remove libsynfig0

Any ideas? It seems no matter what computer I use I cannot compile synfig :confused: :cry:

I can run synfig by using apt-get to install, although that doesn’t help me help develop.

Thanks.

It is possible that there are backward incompatibilities to past and old versions of linux. Consider that we need to give support for new linux versions (and its libraries) so keep old compatibility is a useless work. At the end you’ll update to a new ubuntu, because 8.04 doesn’t have support anymore. Same happen here. If we modified the code to be compatible with new libraries, we cannot afford to take time and compile directives to keep backward compatibility to old linux versions. My recommendation is to upgrade to latest linux version. Also you can try to use the universal binary from the website (synfig.org) and try to install and run in your 8.04.
-G