A Nietzsche fable

made a new one:

youtube.com/watch?v=mNnNrDbaI9Y

EDIT:
I put the original color version without the “old cinema filter” here:

youtube.com/watch?v=vp9BxyLsd1Y

(there are quite a few “optical illusions” in this version)
eg
*watch the yellow circle of the clock as the dials spin quickly.
*the circle after effects the planets leave behind.

Very well done!!
I’m curious, did you do the old film effect with Synfig? If so, it would be extremly awesome if you share how did you do it by writing a tutorial or sharing a sample file. That would make the users community very happy!
-G
EDIT: I see: virtual dub: MSU Old Cinema filter. Anyway, it would be interesting to do a tutorial for that effect.

G,

Yes I used the MSU old cinema filter…
Its very easy to use, simply download virtual dub + the filter, drop the filter in the “plugin” folder of virtual dub, then start virtual dub, open your video, and then apply the filter from the menu. (its very customizable)

Avisynth also has these sort of filters.

To be honest I dont think it is really synfigs “job” to do that sort of thing, thats more post-processing… (of course thats just my opinion)
I like the UNIX philosophy of each tool “does one thing, and does it well”, then you can adopt a layered/modular approach and just layer tools on top of each other in a really flexible way. Also by doing things this way it means that each tool will just impove in its own area, instead of wasting time and energy replicating what others have already done well… (eg i dont think synfig will ever need an editing component, we can just use blender or one of the others that already provides that function)

Sure! I don’t wanted to say that there would be a built in old film filter in Synfig but I think that by emulating that, it is a way to demonstrate how powerfult are the current Synfig’s baseground features.
Of course if you have a easy and quick way to apply that filter to your final result, do it! Maybe someone can create some sort of filter that is not currently done by anyone and it is possible to create it with the current Synfig’s power.

Anyway, don’t worry. I would not waste time on research that. I still concentrated on improve Synfig’s weaknesses, which are many.
-G

hehe, but your right synfig is quite powerful it could be done… eg

1. noise distort layer (animated switch on) (for video grain)
  2. modify hue (for the old color look)
  3. randomize a few thin lines jumping in/out (scratches)
  4. add vignette layer mask (just a circle with alpha in the middle and goes all black at edges)

But actually in this animation you can see synfigs power as well… the rotations of the clock and planets was very quick and easy because of the way you can “convert and program node values” rather than hand animate, also the time loop is very useful here…

Certainly the power of Synfig is not fully exploited yet. :slight_smile:
-G

Very good! :smiley:
Congratulations.