A confusing freeze?

I am not sure what’s happening, I have the latest version of synfig, as of now I am using yesterday download (doesn’t matter if it’s old too, the problem exists).
Usually I prefer to use synfig on low end hardware (because it still works smooth, I have many times used it with 16GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM, Intel i3 3220T, Intel HD 2500,with decent 1tb ssd and a pegatron motherboard. It has never frozen, crashed or even lagged.
However, due to a motherboard problem I am not able to use that PC. So I just decided to switch to my main desktop, specs are following:-
Intel Core i9-14900K
MSI MEG Z790 GODLIKE MAX EATX
Corsair Vengeance 192 GB (4 x 48 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2 NVME SSD (4 of these)
Mushkin Source HC 16 TB SSD (6 of these)
Asus ROG Matrix Platinum GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB (2 of these)
Super Flower Leadex 2000 W 80+ Platinum

And by no means I could ever utilize these if I don’t use blender,after effects, premiere and Photoshop, however synfig freezes for no reason freezes. That too on a pretty basic character I am making, it is random and happens suddenly without any prior notice, I don’t how to reproduce it, but it just happens itself at totally random times. I notice that it happens mostly when I use the text tool. And the problem is, it never takes more than 1% of my CPU, GPUs, SSDs, yet it freezes. I mean, every app except synfig and file explorer is closed, even the internet is off. If it wants, it could utilize the whole system and not lag or freeze. Yet it still freezes and shows not responding with 99% of resources available.
I don’t understand why this happens, and it frustrates me.

I guess the problem is better hardware somehow :man_shrugging:
I mean none of these things tend to show up on low end hardware. Or it is a bug, I don’t understand why this is happening.

Update:- I am now using a laptop with 8GB ram, intel core i3 12100F, and it froze again with 60% of resources available. It’s really wierd.

Does it happen only with certain tools ? you mention that it does with the text tool. Is this maybe what happens for you issue ?

No, it happens randomly, with or without tools. But mostly does happen with text, otherwise it can happen anytime.

That is not my problem, however it is similar. In my case, synfig shows not responding rather than crashing and gets back fine after 10 seconds, but even during those 10 secs synfig doesn’t utilize my pc even after a lot of resources being free.

Which version of Synfig are you using?

I am using version 1.4.4 according to the about synfig studio dialogue box, I downloaded it on 15 April 2024…
I believe this is the latest right now.

Avoid the stable version. It’s slow and buggy.
Use the version in the link below.

1 Like

The version I mentioned above also supports multithreading. So it can take advantage of your faster cpu and help you render faster. Only thing you’ve to do is set the right number of threads in Render tab in the Settings dialog.

1 Like

Helloo there, Ar_D! Not sure if this could help solve your problem, but I just wanna know what did you set your ‘Autosave interval’ to. Maybe that has something to do with the frequent freezes?

It’s default, I don’t think that does it, because sometimes I don’t face the not responding dialogue for hours. It is totally random as I mentioned.

Thanks, I will use it.

Btw, it shows 2022 in the post.
Is the download link updated?

Don’t bother about the year and yeah, it’s still downloadable.
The version I’m recommending is better in all aspect.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I will use it then.