51 Great Animation Exercises to Master

Exercise 13 (Character jumping over a gap)

Exercise_13

6 Likes

Exercise 14 ( Standing up (from a chair) )

Exercise_14

8 Likes

I’m new to Synfig. Just started learning, and thought that I could take part in these 51 exercises.

So, here is the first one, the bouncing balls (although I don’t understand why the renders are glitchy).

1_bouncing ball_b ezgifcom

6 Likes

Nice! I think I know why the render is glitchy; you rendered it as a GIF, Try using “magick++” next time. It will still be a GIF when exported, but the quality will be better:

4 Likes

Exercise 15 (Walk Cycle)

Exercise_15

5 Likes

Thanks @Khemardi , that was really helpful. Magick++ made a significant difference. Here is the improved render, and slightly improved animation.

BTW, you are THE one from whom I learned how to use Synfig, through your YT tutorials. Awesome work. Thank you.
1_bouncing ball_d

6 Likes

bounce2

bounce_across_Screen

bounce_across_Screen

1 Like

I’m glad you find my tutorials helpful :slight_smile: Good work on the exercise. You could take it a step further by adding shadows :upside_down_face: Looking forward to the next exercise

2 Likes

For the first one, it appears to be floating. :hushed:

1 Like

Thanks for comment, It is very useful to be commented by experienced stuff.

for the animation, I will fix it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exercise 16 (Character on a pogo stick (loop))

Exercise_16

4 Likes

bounce2-5
bounce2-5

2 Likes

ezgif.com-Synfig Animation 9 Girl 1 b

Exercise 6: Character blinking (along with some leaves blowing and hair flowing). :grinning:

I had trouble rendering it as a GIF through Synfig. Had to render a series of JPG images, then rendered as MP4 in Blender, and then converted to GIF through an online website. :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

@Ahamd your brick is still rotating before it reaches the table(?) edge.

And the blue bouncing ball isn’t squashing when it reaches the floor. It’s strange, because it does stretch while falling.

2 Likes

@rodolfog I wander, how you can notice this small things :smile:

Regarding the brick, this is the latest edit https://forums.synfig.org/t/brick-fall-excercise-any-idea/14448/4?u=ahamd

The birck may rotate its weight & the remaining effect of its fall.

Regarding the ball, I had removed the squash as I thought that nobody will notice it :grin: and it gave the appearance of floating ball.

Exercise 17 (Laughing)

Exercise_17

3 Likes

I feel like the eyes are not in sync with the mouth and the character doesn’t seem like laughing, it feels more like :face_exhaling: (sighing)

Thanks for the feedback. I think it’s more interesting allowing the eyes not to be in sync. I agree with the sighing, the mouth shape plus the eyes going down does make it look that way, so I edited the mouth shapes. Thoughts?

Exercise_17

1 Like

Bouncing ball sideways.

2_bouncing ball sideways b

I feel like I have lost motivation to make animations :sweat_smile:, because for me either Synfig renders gifs extreeemely slowly, or does not render at all (even on Magick++ mode).

Render your animation in pngs and then convert it into gif/webp after post processing in natron/shotcut/openshot/blender for the best result.

1 Like