Waypoints: what could be the future of...?

in the synfig bugtracker and forum, waypoints enhancement start to take some space !
Feature request 761 - Drag-select multiple waypoints
Enhancement #193 - New actions for waypoints
Feature request 228 - Select multiple waypoints easily
Enhancement #392 - Easier Waypoints Manipulation
Multi-waypoint deleting thing
Edit Waypoints(keyframe) in Transform Tool panel
Navigation button for nex/prev WayPoint, bis and more
Labeling Waypoints + Waypoint Grouping

This a little summary to provoke some brainstroming, orientation and maybe choices :

Select many waypoints easily.

Move waypoint easily

• Move waypoint easily, via the arrow keys. Modifier keys : no modifier+arrow: ~1/4 second, shift+arrow: 1 second, Ctrl+arrow: 1 frame.
  • Move waypoints of several layers to a different time at once (even if not from same parameter) (see also #762)
  • When multiple layers selected (or group) and multiple waypoints at same h:m:s:f , modifier-click to display a selector (popup menu?) to select/move only selected waypoint(s)

Navigate through Waypoints

Organize Waypoints

Display waypoints

• Show summary of all waypoints for current layer.
  • Display waypoints on the Graph panel over the curve.
  • Display “static intervals” between two in different color. (“Static interval” is a segment between two waypoints where the value remains unchanged) (issue #790).
  • Highlight the associated parameter into the parameters panel when scrolling manually the timeline (also when playing animation has option?) we pass to a waypoint (to catch them easier)
  • Tooltips on waypoints to know “who is who” (needed when multiple layers selected (or group))

Edit waypoints

Shortcuts for waypoints manipulation:

• Box Selection mode by pressing “B”,
  • Deleting selected waypoints by hitting “X / Ctrl+X / Del”
  • Scaling / increasing gaps between waypoints by hitting “S” and moving the mouse, as if we’re scaling a model in Blender (or perhaps have “Scale Tool” for the waypoints themselves).
  • Translate and move them across the Time Track, Hitting “G”
  • and so one ,

Bugs affecting waypoints

• Issue 651 : When shortening keyframe length in Keyframes panel waypoints spills over into the previous keyframe range. (Ready for testing / QA)

What do you think ? new/others ideas i mess ??? …

<Last edit 2019/03/25>

1 Like

the first priority improvement from my point of view is to align (or even further step to combine) Parameter Panel and Time Track Panel.

Currently it is possible to edit the waypoints in not animation mode by two ways:

1. Relative animation. Offset the waypoints by a value.
  2. Individual edition of the waypoint values.

Did you miss those two? Ir did I miss something?
-G

I would add this:

• Display waypoints on the Graph panel over the curve. Allow waypoint value edition by vertical dragging on this panel.
  • Edition of TCB waypoints using bezier handles on Graph panel :mrgreen:
    -G

Good summary-roadmap. We can offer this as a monthly into our fundraising campaign.

I would add the following:
Display waypoints:

• Display “static intervals” between two in different color. (“Static interval” is a segment between two waypoints where the value remains unchanged).

This will help to visually understand animation on the timeline.

I’m very excited this area finally gets some attention. It’s high up my wishlist. For an efficient workflow it’s absolutely necessary!

Speaking of fundraising I have heard of this awesome site patreon which might be better suited for Synfig funding patreon.com/

Hmmm… Not sure about Synfig, but this might be a good option for Morevna. Thank you for the link.

I think this bug is quite critical to timeline use and needs to go into the list.

When shortening keyframe length in Keyframes panel waypoints spills over into the previous keyframe range.
http://www.synfig.org/issues/thebuggenie/synfig/issues/651

done

New entry added, what do you think ?

Waypoint edition : using a panel with instant updating ( -1- when selecting a waypoint : waypoint info displayed in panel. -2- changing waypoint parameter from panel direct update, nothing saved before apply ? -3- TCB info active only if TCB interpollation selected

I think the timeline needs to be development top priority soon. It’s such a central and important part of animation creation and yet so rudimentary in Synfig, selecting waypoints one by one, channel by channel… It’s like trying to run a marathon with crutches…
Konstantin, how about making it a development priority for fundraising?

I agree that timeline should be rewrited or at least improved a lot (the subject of this thread …) but from my point of view depending of the deepness of the rework we should’nt think that in terms of 1.0 .

Why? because a lot of new feature has already been added to this branch and they need at minimum to be polished and some time to be functional (for example brush still crash after ctrl-z ) and other critical bugs : color gtk3.14 doc save windows

While I haven’t animated enough to encounter these bugs yet, I’ll say this word of encouragement - after fighting with the analogous “keyframes” in Adobe Flash Professional for over two years, let me assure you, you don’t have very far to go to surpass them in the usability department. >.>

Hello, David!
I don’t think we will sell any new priorities until we stablilze the current features.
My plan is to try to eliminate all (or at least the most) regressions that we have now, and then release 1.0. I believe after this event we will have a better financing situation.

After the release of 1.0 we will start selling new development priorities.

The list of features to be polished for 1.0:

• Single-WIndow and Gtk3 UI
  • Group transformations widget
  • Bones / Cutout tools
  • Bone distortion
  • Sound layer

The following list of features will NOT be subject for polishing for 1.0, but will be available as “experimental features”:

• SFG container
  • MyPaint integration
  • Frame-by-frame animation tools
    (we will focus on them after 1.0 release)

new entry in display waypoint * Highlight the associated parameter into the parameters panel when scrolling manually the timeline (also when playing animation has option?) we pass to a waypoint (to catch them easier)

new entries:

• Tooltips on waypoints to know “who is who” (needed when multiple layers selected (or group))
  • When multiple layers selected (or group) and multiple waypoints at same h:m:s:f , modifier-click to display a selector (popup menu?) to select/move only selected waypoint(s)

We’ve got into GSoC this year and this topic is in our ideas list. It’s a good time to get a fresh look and give some love to this document! :slight_smile:

My additions:

1 Like

We should think more carefully on keybindings - do we really want to blindly mimic Blender’s shortcuts? How about to look what other editors do? (AE, ToonBoom, etc.)

I need some help with refreshing this topic: it references some old issues from our old bugtracker. It would be really nice to review them and move to GitHub (admins can take care on updating links in the top post).