Hi all, new to all this!

Hi guys, how are you doing?

I used to love drawing, photoshopping, all sorts of arty stuff. I always wanted to try my hand with animation. When I was 18 (now 23) I had an operation on my hand which meant writing was near on impossible, let alone drawing. Im now able to write a letter, or draw without too much pain, so want to finally learn animation. I have downloaded synfig, and I have to be honest, I have no idea where to start :blush:

Im going to go and find some tutorials and practice now, hopefully find some useful stuff on here!

Mr Dgr, welcome to synfig!

I think the best to start is to read and learn from the wiki / doc.
Actually the wiki has some trouble and some pages seems to be empty… but you can start from wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Overview.

After this first step, from youtube you can found another tutorials.

I have started to read up on some information, I have almost done my first animation but as soon as I add something that isnt a basic shape (rectangle, circle etc) It wont let me animate it. Not sure why, but will try and find out. The first 10 key points are fine but once I add a polygon it doesnt like it :frowning:

Can you attach the animation (ie. the .sifz file) here?

It would make it much easier to provide help.

I will try, I think its probably me making a silly mistake, but will try to post it here and see what you say.

Unfortunately I did not save it (or cant find it.) I remade it though, but this time it wont play at all :frowning:

It animates if i manually drag along the timeline at the bottom, but I cant make it playthrough in real time. I know its bad, was the first thing that came to mind! Also, its meant to ‘crack’ the screen toward the end, but I didnt get that far.

Hopefully this works!
Pong.sifz (2.4 KB)

When animation get complex (or computer slow), synfig can’t play then in playback, we should use preview function .

In the pong animation case you provide, i can, with an “old” linux computer, play it directly …

Can you share your computer capacities (operating system version / memory / cpu) and synfig version.