Work Items Restructuring Project

@oho and ghosthand,
ok I understand. Let me release the candidates and then join you for update the more critical docs needed.
I don’t mind to delay the release a bit but I understand that it should be handy to have all the features running to take the proper screen shots and to mention the last improvements in the basic documentation, specially the keys conbination of the transform tool can cofuse some newbies.
-G

I think I will be able to finish it before release time if nothing will go wrong. It’s a good idea to release first manual section. During our work on manual we can release few snapshots including more and more sections.

Yes, you can!

1. The big help is to read through the content of “Diving In” section and carefully check if it is correct for current development snapshot of synfig studio. For example you need to replace “Background/Foreground color” to “Outline/Fill color”, sometimes “panels” are called “dialogs”, which is wrong, etc. Just look through a text following its recommendations and fixit accordingly OR at least (if update requires significant structure changes) put notes about found “bugs” on the talk pages, like Oho did. Every note is a big help.
  2. Second task I can delegate - is to check and update screenshots. (see synfig.org/wiki/Meta:ScreenShots )

@ghosthand:
Yes, we need help,

This can be added to Zelgaids’ list as #3:
we need native speakers to proofread the german, russian, spanish English we produced. Seems like you’re from the US… :wink:

I would like to define work item packages…
let’s discuss that here now…

What about:
work items for each chapter:

1. update chapter structure / readability
  2. content: correctness
  3. content: screen shots
  4. content: up-to-date for 0.62.01
  5. proofread (native speaker)

chapters (to begin with):
from “Diving In” and “Interface”

1. Overview (new)
  2. Installation (new)
  3. Getting Started
  4. Animation Basics
  5. Adding Layers
  6. Creating shapes
  7. Quick Overview
  8. Interface

Idea is, that we will have a writer for each of 1a, 1b, 1c, … 2a, 2b, …
Everybody can still contribute by reading the other chapters and adding ideas/thoughts to the discussion pages.

By this it should be clear where we still need help and double editing (and frustrations) can be avoided.

What do you think? Agree?

Ok. I can start with 6a-d.

There’s going to be overlap with Interface (7,8) and Getting Started (3). Should we make Interface (7,8) more detailed. It seems the beginner should be able to get started with what will be in Getting Started.

I would drop e) until we have settled down the English version.
-G

@ohoservices:

I like the idea.

Few notes:

From my point of view b) and d) are about the same. Am I wrong?

I’m still insist to merge “Quick Overview” and “Interface”. Also I don’t see any reason to work on them now. I would better add the “Flower animation” tutorial (synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Flower_Animation) as a final part of “Diving In” section.

@ghosthand:
It’s ok if “Interface” will overlap with “Getting Started”. We will have some overlaps in whole manual to allow user to learn it in the order he likes. But you right, overlaps should not be too huge - we should make “Interface” more detailed.

Also, I saw you did extended screenshot for Interface - it looks good. Please notice, that if you have new version of screenshot, then no need to create “Interface2.png”. Please upload it right on top of “Interface.png”. Mediawiki will keep old version automatically. I’ve fixed it, that’s how it looks like: synfig.org/wiki/File:Interface.png#filehistory

Please provide source for it - so others can fix few issues without redoing it from scratch. Source should be uploaded on the wiki with the same name as the screenshot file.

d) is just the check when we have a 0.62.01 release candidate: “is it still ok?” … fixing things like the rename from “Normal Tool” to the new name… and the new “manipulate all” (or whatever name it will get) tool.
Accepted?

Well, that’s perfectly ok, I just copied the chapter index as is…
So we would then merge Quick Overview and Interface into just one.
Ok?

late answer, I know… I meant: proofread the english version by a native speaker…

late answer, sorry…

Thx, I’ll assign that to you. Why not 6e?

I see what you mean. I don’t know. For now I would still keep interface(7,8). Let’s see what we have when we work over it.

Zelgadis, your comment?

I can do 6e - well, a many of the 200 pages as I can. Some bits are worse than others.

Chris

Thx pixelgeek…

OK, got it. :slight_smile:

OK.

See my previous post. ~_^

I can also work on Adding Layers.

Thx. I added you for “Adding Layers” a,b,c,d.
Ok?

I’ve finished tidying up “Adding Layers” and “Creating Shapes” and would like some eyes to take a quick look and give any suggestions. Some notes:

Note: screenshots have not been added or updated yet in many parts.

@ghosthand:
Thank you!
I do currently work on the Introduction (new page).
I’ll have a look at “your” chapters Monday or Tuesday…

Take care.

PS.: Do you need help with the screenshots or is that just the next step?

I’ll take “Getting Started” and “Animation Basics” - a,b,d if no one objects.

@ Zelgadis… objections? Are you kidding?

Thx for taking this.
I’ll do the bookkeeping in the 1st post of this thread…

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi! I have reviewed both pages and have significant notes about “Creating Shapes”. Please take a look at the Talk page.