White space....

I have been trying to make animations in synfig using my own drawings I make using GIMP (a free photoshop-like program).
I’m trying to just get the character (or .jpg image) itself into my synfig project, but when I import it, there is this white space around it ( the character looks like its’ in a white box). Is there a way to edit the images you bring into synfig so I can get rid of this white space?

why not just go back to gimp to fix it? or could you pls attach your image so we can have a look and try to figure it out ?

Each image must be of a type that supports transparency. Jpeg doesn’t support transparency. Be sure that your shape is over a transparent background when you export to png from the raster application. See synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Cut-out_Animation
-G

Sorry I didn’t attach the character’s picture! I didn’t have whole lot of time when I wrote that post and forgot to D:
I’ll attach the picture here, just please, nobody use this character without my permission. He may be very simple, but I have been drawing this since I was about 9 and I don’t want anyone using him or his co-star.

To reiterate, I want to cut out all the white space surrounding the character.
georgeSynfigTest.jpg

HOLY JUMPING MOTHER OF GOD WITH CHOCOLATE JIMMIES AND A LOBSTER BIB! IT WORKED! I cannot describe how happy I am that you answered my question quickly AND gave me the answer I needed :smiley:

One thing I would like to add, though, it would be nice if Synfig had a ‘select’ tool (one that was free hand, not a rectangle or a square) so an artist could cut and paste an image for animation.

THANKS AGAIN!

You’re welcome!
-G

Thanks to your help, I was able to make this short film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJMSVdB-M2k

Seriously, this is just me goofing around with Synfig, not an actual attempt to animate anything,
why did I post it on youtube?
your guess is as good as mine.