Trophees du libre contest

Hi there,
As proposed by Yaco in the chat it would be good that Synfig enter in the contest given by this link:

trophees-du-libre.org/compon … 1/lang,en/

There are prices for each category:
1st: 3000 eur
2nd:1000 eur
3rd: 500 eur

and there is a category for

where we can enter. See the current projects here: trophees-du-libre.org/conten … ory/22/57/

It is required that one person (physic or institution) represents the project in the contest. Also it is required an email address of the Project Leader of the project. The winners must do a 10 minutes conference to the jury and a noon meeting with the rest of participants and the developers.

If everyone agrees, I’m considering to be as the Representative for Synfig to enter in the contest.
I would do it under some conditions:

1. If we win any price I need some help and feed back from you about the presentation that must be done.
  2. My finances are very weak lately so I don’t want to loose money with the trip. I propose to discount form the price the needed traveling expenses not covered by the organizers. According to the rules in the web of the contest “For the finalists the cost of the transport and the hosting is taken care by the steering committee”, but you know, there are always not covered expenses.
  3. I’ve talked with dooglus about it and he agrees on give his back account for the potential money price. Also I’ll arrange with him any significant expenses I could have for traveling not covered by the organizers.
  4. Obviously the price will go to buy new hardware for dooglus. If I see that it is not possible to give a third person bank account I’ll transfer the money to dooglus’s paypal account after discount my not covered travel expenses

I would like to have all your agreement on the terms I posted before.
I need someone to give his/her email address to act as Project Leader in this event.
Please feed back.

-G

Looks good to me.

I’m happy to be the Project Leader if no-none else wants to do it.

Have no objections.

Make it so, number one.

I’ve asked them some details about the contest:

Here is the replied post:

Not so explicit but at last they replied.
I’ll submit the form as soon as possible. Can someone confirm the email address of the project leader?
-G

This is the form to fill:
Please feed back if you see something wrong.

Project-Details
Project name * : Synfig
Project URL* : synfig.org/
License * :GNU General Public License, version 2 or later.
Category : Software for art media (it is a selection combo box)
Project mailing-list : sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=144022
Version submitted : 0.61.09
URL of submitted version: synfig.org/Download
URL CVS or SVN : synfig.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synfig
Number of developers : 2
Number of contributors : 6
Project leader : Paul Wise
Project lead email address: pabs3@bonedaddy.net

Project representative
Title : Mr
First Name * : Carlos
Family Name*: López González
email * : carloslopezgonzalez@yahoo.es
Address : hidden
Postcode : hidden
City : hidden
State/Region : hidden
Telephone : hidden
Role in the Project: Part time developer, documentation and user support contributor

Project presentation
Project principle * :Synfig is a vector-based 2D animation software package. It consists of a renderer (Synfig) and a GUI for the creation of animations (Synfig Studio).
Other similar projects : Pencil, Ktoon, Inkscape
Specificities : High Dynamic Range Image processing, Spatial and Temporal resolution independence, Artist Oriented design, Path based Gradients, Several Layer types (Primitives, Effects, Fractals, Blurs, Noises), Full Parametric Animation Capabilities, Particles, Multiple Target renders.
Target audience : Animators with basic animation knowledge. Artists for still images.
Contributions : Needs to add sound support, complete bone system (under development), complete OpenGL rendering (under development), GUI rework, native SVG import (under development), Bug fixes. This mind map has a full list of the needs: mind42.com/pub/mindmap?mid=0 … be4de6327e
Links : synfig.org/Related_Projects
Detailed description of the project *: Synfig allows to create vector animations easily. A toolbox with several tools lets the user draw vector shapes and fill them with the needed colour or gradient to draw the scene that he/she wants to animate. A system of layers and sub-layers gives the possibility to create some rather complex scenes.
The user can then animate the scene by moving through the timeline, and changing the shapes of the objects or moving them. The changes to the objects will appear as waypoints on the timeline. The shape and position of the objects will be automatically interpolated between those waypoints, allowing to have a smooth animation without the need to work on each frame. The user can define Keyframes and the program would keep them unmodified during pose to pose fine tunning.
All the layers (primitives, transformation and distortion layers) have their parameters animatable through the time. Also common type parameters of different layers can be linked together, so the modification of one of them makes the others follow. Some of the parameters of the layers are controlled directly on the main drawing screen by a set of handles like any classic vector drawing application.

-G

So … now that the First name / Familly name problem is fixed … :slight_smile:

Maybe we could get rid of that very commercial-like presentation? My attempt at a simple description:
Project principle:
Synfig is a vector-based 2D animation software package. It consists of a rendered (Synfig) and a GUI for the creation of animations (Synfig Studio).

Now for the more detailed description, hmm… it is so evident to me that it’s hard to describe without having that “Captain obvious” feeling.
Anyway, let’s try. I know I’m going to omit a lot of stuff, but I don’t want to make a synfig tutorial :wink:
Detailed description of the project:
Synfig allows to create vector animations easily. A toolbox with several tools let the user draw vector shapes and fill them with the needed colour or gradient to draw the scene that he/she wants to animate. A system of layers and sub-layers gives the possibility to create some rather complex scenes.
The user can then animate the scene by moving through the timeline, and changing the shapes of the objects or moving them. The changes to the objects will appear as waypoints (or keyframes) on the timeline. The shape and position of the objects will be automatically interpolated between those waypoints, allowing to have a smooth animation without the need to work on each frame.

(Here I’m not sure if we should talk about how everything can be exported/connected together, with the possibility to make some rather complex mathematical transformations or not… This sounds like something a bit tricky to explain. Also, I suppose we should add something like “The animation can then be exported to various video format”, maybe ?)

Other similar projects: KToon ?
Specificities: I agree with everything you put there except the Animated Brushes. They are far from obvious to use, it’s more a “complex trick” than a specificity to me.

Role in the Project: Part time developer, documentation and user support contributor. Or something along that way :slight_smile:

Number of developers: rand() % 5;
Number of contributors: rand() % 5;
Ok, just joking, I have no idea for those 2. Do we count active devs or all devs or … ?

Right, more straight and simple to understand.

I like it too. I would add:
…a smooth animation without the need to work on each frame. All the layers (primitives, transformation and distortion layers) have its parameters animatable through the time. Also common type parameters of different layers can be linked together, so the modification of one of them makes the others to follow. Some of the parameters of the layers are controlled directly on the main drawing screen by a set of handles like any classic vector drawing application.

I agree.

Inkscape?

I agree

Sounds good to me, thanks!

Let’s say 3 developers, and 5 contributors? It is hard to list the names because if I miss someone he/she can be disappointed.

-G

Other similar projects: Blender?

Number of developers: 2
Number of contributors: 6

Just my two cents…
G.

Thanks Gerco!
:slight_smile:

I think everything in the form is ok. I suggest to mention that there is no other vector animation software (at least well known and with such a goods features and possibilities) in the Free Software world.

Just that. Let’s go for it!.

A few typos:

It consists of a rendered (Synfig)

renderer

Several Layer (Primitives, Effects, Fractals, Blurs, Noises)

“several layers” or “several layer types”?

A toolbox with several tools let the user

lets

The user can define Keyframes poses and …

“keyframe poses”?

All the layers (primitives, transformation and distortion layers) have its parameters animatable

“their parameters”

so the modification of one of them makes the others to follow.

“makes the others follow”

Thank you very much for your corrections dooglus!
I’ll submit it tomorrow.
Cheers!
-G

FYI:

She wrote: “We are depending on you to spread the call to candidates.”?
Can someone explain me what’s does it mean?
-G

Yes, this sentence is rather cryptic…

Maybe they mean a “call for submissions” or a “call for participation”? Then again, I don’t even know what you’re going to do. Probably best to contact them.

G.

Maybe “we will be grateful to you for helping us to spread information about the Trophees du libre contest”?
:wink:

Zelgadis: yes it was that. :smiley:
Zelgadis +1 :wink:
-G