Translating Synfig into Japanese?

Hi! I’m a Japanese major and interested in translating Synfig to Japanese. I am not a native speaker, but I’m fluent enough that I think I can pull it off.

I may not be able to work full time on the translation, but it would get done eventually. Not having a Japanese translation is probably scaring off more Japanese users than the current UI!

Also, Japan has a pretty vibrant scene of amateur/semi professional illustrators and animators. Events such as Comiket (Comic market) are ridiculously huge and you can tell that there is a lot of interest in illustration if you refresh the page on a site like pixiv.net/. There are new illustration being posted every second. I think a bunch of these people would surely be interested in a free animation program called Synfig if only it were in Japanese, and that having a translated Synfig would boost the user base in Japan.

So, how do you translate Synfig? I saw transifex.com/projects/p/synfig/ , do you just register, add a new language and start translating, or is there something else I should know? :mrgreen:

I guess you already jumped in :wink: You might also like to try this tool: translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/index
Virtaal fetches suggestions from online translation memory banks and Microsoft Translator (sometimes it gives a nice start and one only needs to clean it up a bit). Be sure to learn the shortcuts: translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/v … cheatsheet
You can upload the .po file from your computer when you are done for the day.

Transifex might get the feature for different projects to share their translation memories in the future, though.

Are you aware of the terminology rewrite: Terminology rewrite sprint

Yeah, I poked around a bit and started by myself. :laughing: I just wanted to test the online system and it wasn’t that bad really, it felt pretty fast. I guess doing them locally would be even faster though. I’ll test Virtaal for sure.

I’m aware of the terminology changes, but I’m pretty new to synfig anyway so I’ll stick to ‘safe’ translations for now until I’m a bit more familiar with the software. :mrgreen:

What’s the difference between synfig-core and synfig-studio? Also, what kind of accuracy should I aim for? As in, what’s the balance between speed and accuracy?

Welcome here … !

Great news the work you have initated… !
126,659,683 with some anim’ culture background news potential synfig users!

Has you found yourself, Transiflex is the place to be to translate the Synfig User Interface.
Welcome there.

Then if you want / found another people to help you … you can ask a new language definition for the wiki/doc if you want to translate some of that.

I have just reed wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Dev:Translation , i think this page it’s severely outdated, and should be rewrite? … → Genete, Zeld, is’t it ?

This kind of difference : wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Synfig_Studio_vs_Synfig

Speed(VS)Accuracy
Speed : The amount of kilometers a car can do per hour.
Accuracy : The reactivity of the car’s break when the driver want to avoid to run over a duck.

see(:ya!

Thanks! I’ll go for a balanced approach, and check the translations again when it’s close to 100%. I’ll start with the GUI translations, then do the documentation and command line render translations when the GUI translations are done.

If anyone wants to help out with the console (synfig-core) translations you’re free to do so (when the lock is gone). :mrgreen:

Synfig-core is the rendering engine and Command Line interface.
Synfig-Studio is the GUI you use to create a SIF or SIFZ file.

Strictly speaking it is severely un-complete because IMHO, the advices given there doesn’t contradict the current workflow with transifex. It needs completion yeah.
-G