Text and Synfig crashing

I’ve installed the latest version of synfig on WinXP.

The program’s been crashing when I try to use text - both the text tool and layer option crash it as does trying to open a text file that I found attached to one of the threads about this topic from earlier in the year (or before).

What I see that has been suggested is that the fonts could be damaged or corrupted. I deleted a font which I had recently downloaded and synfig worked but then after I created some animations with it and also just simple non animated files, the next time I tried to open these files - it crashed again.

I had not downloaded any other fonts - so I’m not sure why it worked and then didn’t work.

I am trying to figure out if any other fonts are corrupted but I don’t really know how to do this. The only suggestion I found online was to see the file size - if it was 0 take it off. But I have no font files that are zero.

How does one know if font file in windows is corrupted?

Is there any other reason this could be happening that I could check?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled synfig a couple of times but it still crashes with the text.

Thank you.

Does it crash when using built in fonts (no link to external font file)?
In that case, can you share the offending file?
I can test whether it crashes in this Windows XP machine.
-G

Hi Ganete,

I’m sorry it’s taken me a while to get back to you. I came down with the flu (yuck). What I found out just after I posted here and just before the flu struck was that I had more font files that were corrupt or weird -

I looked up what fonts came with XP and then checked out all the ones that weren’t on the list in my fonts file. I hadnt’ realized the previous owner of the computer had put on fonts files. I took them off (deleted the files) and then synfig text tool (both the layer and the other way) worked fine.

I just finished a litle video where I used text - even a non-corrupt downloaded font (old typerwriter) - so I’m very happy - synfig is brilliant :smiley:

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me so soon. So far, so good, and the font corruption seems to be the thing that was making it crash in this case. :smiley: