Synfig Studio newer versions are not work on Windows xp!

Hello!
I have an old computer which works just with windows xp. I tried to install the new versions of synfig on windows xp but only the version 1.0 normally installed.
As i am not new to synfig. I am learning and animating on the synfig studio 1.0 since two months.
I am here to just confirm that
Will the newer versions of synfig (above 1.0) works on a xp machine…?
(sorry for the bad English :upside_down_face: )
and
it is the first topic i created so if i write something wrong sorry for that
THANKS

1 Like

I don’t think it would be possible. Windows XP is a two decade old operating system. You should have rather replaced it with linux. It would have provided your system better security as well as modern software support.

1 Like

I don’t think it will support Windows XP, but do you get any errors while installing? Also as mentioned by @Kai you should upgrade your operating system.
Even Microsoft doesn’t support Windows XP anymore. You may not expect further versions of Synfig to support Windows XP.

1 Like

Synfig Studio uses GTK toolkit (and gtkmm) for a lot of GUI stuff; and they dropped support to Windows XP since its 3.18 version. Current Synfig versions ship 3.22.

You can try yourself to replace it with older gtkmm/GTK version (like 3.16)… Maybe from previous Synfig stable/development releases…

2 Likes

Could you post the specs of your computer?
Desktop or Laptop?
RAM, Screen resolution, CPU/Speed, HDD size…
Maybe you could install a Linux with LXDE or XFCE depending on your needs.
For example, I run a Xubuntu 18.04 LTS 32bit on an old Asus eeepc (1Go RAM,1024x600, 900MHz :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I am running a very low end pc :laughing:

Desktop
RAM=2gb
HDD size =2.5 inch
Screen resolution=1024 by 769 pixels
CPU speed=1861Mhz

1 Like

With 2 Gb it’s fine for a Linux, but don’t expect too much big performances anyway with newer versions of Synfig.
Depending your usage of the computer, you could try a live version of Lubuntu or Xubuntu 18.04 (if you need a 32bit version for the CPU).
As said before XP is out of age and you miss a lot of “modern” features (recent Firefox etc)

1 Like

The following errors displayed when try to run newer version on Win xp

(On 1.4.0 version)
    synfig studio.exe-Entry point not found
       the procedure entry point ActiveProcessorCount could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

(And on other older versions)

C:\Program Files\Synfig\bin\synfigstudio.exe is not a valid Win 32 application
1 Like

Yes, because the kernel of XP doesn’t provide this API useful for multi-core CPU.
As it is part of the runtime of the compiler, you can’t do anything (but using a Linux it would work :wink: )

1 Like

Thanks Bob !
Now I am trying to install linux on my pc. :upside_down_face:
Thank you !!

2 Likes

A version of Linux that works very well with “Synfig studio” is linux-mint

https://linuxmint.com/

because I have already tried other versions of linux that and synfig bug on some linux.
I advise you to test in a Virtual Box, at the beginning, to get the hand.

4 Likes

Good choice, but according the config available for HAROON, the last option would be a Tricia 19.3 XFCE in 32 bits and no possibility to use Virtualbox to test on his machine under XP :stuck_out_tongue:
Note that I am a big fan of Virtualbox, Windows users can also benefit of a Linux version on Synfig which is generaly more stable :wink:

I just wanted to say that to pass from Windows to Linux, in 1 week it is a huge change, I used “Virtual box” to learn how to use “linux” or software, but it is not an obligation, it can also try with a “live DVD”.