Synfig performance benchmarking

I would like to have a comparison between different computers specifications and operating systems to see if we can increase performance with synfig using a faster computer.

To do that I will need some help from you. Please download the attached file and run the following command line:

synfig -b benchmark.sifz

Then post your results:

That’s what I have:

benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 203.549 seconds.
Ubuntu linux 6.06
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1 GB ram, synfig svn 2025.

Thanks!
benchmark.sifz (2.16 KB)

benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 63.1236 seconds.

On a AMD64 dual core 3800+, and 3GB of RAM.
Debian Sid amd64
Synfig svn r2022

(it seems it used only one core)

PC: Pentium D 2.66Ghz, 2GB RAM
Synfig: SVN 2008

bash-3.2$ LANG=en_EN synfig -b benchmark.sifz synfig: warning: Unable to find module "mod_libavcodec" (mod_libavcodec.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory) benchmark.sifz:<vector>:540: warning: Layer rejected value for <param> benchmark.sifz:<bool>:623: warning: Layer rejected value for <param> benchmark.sifz ==> benchmark.png: DONE benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 75.6101 seconds.

rore right: according to gnome-system-monitor only one CPU was used - the load of second CPU was about 4%.

PC: Same Pentium D overclocked to 3.2Ghz, 2GB RAM
Synfig: SVN 2008

bash-3.2$ LANG=en_EN synfig -b benchmark.sifz synfig: warning: Unable to find module "mod_libavcodec" (mod_libavcodec.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory) benchmark.sifz:<vector>:540: warning: Layer rejected value for <param> benchmark.sifz:<bool>:623: warning: Layer rejected value for <param> benchmark.sifz ==> benchmark.png: DONE benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 62.4969 seconds.

Thanks dear friends!

3.2 Ghz ---------------------------62.5 sec
2.4 Ghz (3.8 equivalent)-------63.1 sec
2.66 Ghz---------------------------75.6 sec
1.66 Ghz---------------------------203.5 sec

Mmm… according to the numbers I should have an average of:

63/1.63.8= 149 sec
75/1.6
2.66=124 sec
62/1.6*3.2 = 124 sec

but not 203 sec!! Something about the architecture is important!
:slight_smile:

Hi Genete!
Here are the results from the swedish jury:
benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 264.102 seconds

on an powerpc g4 dual core 1.2ghz
SVN: 2025

I hope you’re allright and that your script is developing. :smiley:

ulrik

Hey urik! Glad to hear from you!

Thanks for the benchmark. It confirms that for synfig the key is in the CPU speed and not in the number of cores.

I’m fine thanks! but the ballom animation is not :confused:

But happy anyway! like always :laughing:

C:>synfig -b benchmark.sifz
benchmark.sifz::540: warning: Layer rejected value for
benchmark.sifz::623: warning: Layer rejected value for
benchmark.sifz ==> benchmark.png: DONE
benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 185.859 seconds.

Pentium 4 3GHz, 512MB RAM
Synfig SVN 1994

Thanks pixelgeek!
I wonder why you and Zelgadis obtain those two errors. I don’t have them :confused:

benchmark.sifz:<vector>:540: warning: Layer rejected value for <param> benchmark.sifz:<bool>:623: warning: Layer rejected value for <param> benchmark.sifz ==> benchmark.png: DONE benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 477.146 seconds.
win xp, celeron 800mhz, svn 1987

Previously I incorrecty identified SVN version with which I did benchmark. Possibly that’s why some warnings appeared on console. Fixed it.

stefan@cipy:~$ synfig -b benchmark.sifz
synfig: warning: Unable to find module "mod_libavcodec" (mod_libavcodec.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
benchmark.sifz:<vector>:540: warning: Layer rejected value for <param>
benchmark.sifz:<bool>:623: warning: Layer rejected value for <param>
benchmark.sifz ==> benchmark.png: DONE
benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 459.916 seconds.

Kubuntu Linux 7.04 PIII 800Mhz 313 MB ram.
Synfig 0.61.08

Hey! thanks all for the numbers!

For those that have a multicore CPU. IF you look to this FAQ you will find that can run synfig in a single core each time.
What if you run the same benchmark file using this commands? (I assume you are under linux)

In console:

taskset -c 0 synfig -b --start-time 1f --end-time 8f benchmark.sifz & taskset -c 1 synfig -b --start-time 8f benchmark.sifz

Thanks!

I have seen, that synfigstudio doesn’t need much memory to render some pictures of a short animation. On my computer with 313MB ram it did use only 13 percent. If i render the same animation in the commandline with synfig, it even needs less. Only 6 percent of my memory.

Conclusion: You only need a fast computer, to render your animations with synfig. Every megahertz counts.

EDIT: I have also seen, that my Pentium 3 is slightly faster then a celeron with the same frequenzy. This means, it makes use of a big cache memory.

[ 0.000000] Detected 801.864 MHz processor.
[ 41.000626] CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
[ 41.000632] CPU: L2 cache: 256K

Btw. Could synfig make use of SSE instruction set? Almost every CPU has it. Intel and AMD.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

Yes you can but at compilation level. See this:

synfig.org/Tips#Increase_perform … on_time.3F

-G

Thank you for the information! :smiley: I am currently rebuilding synfig and synfig studio. The same version, to not confuse the benchmark. I want to see, how much this optimisation yields.

With optimisations for my CPU, which supports SSE instructions, the rendering is slightly faster than without SSE.

Before i needed 460 seconds.

It is 5.4 percent faster with SSE optimised executable.

EDIT: I have observed, that the rendering time varies wildly between 434 seconds and 460 seconds. This means, there is no gain at all with SSE optimisations. :frowning:

OK - For a Core i7 920 @2.67GHz running Windows Vista 64 Premium Home

C:\Program Files (x86)\synfig>bin\synfig.exe -b benchmark.sifz benchmark.sifz ==> benchmark.png: DONE benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 72.1812 seconds.

A little disappointing, but bearing in mind it’s running a 32 bit app unoptimized, not too shabby. At least it didn’t fall over!

Next challenge - Compile a 64bit Windows version! Or install Linux…

carlos@pcnuevo:~/Descargas$ synfig -b benchmark.sifz synfig(9286) [07:12:01] información: Cargando módulos desde /usr/local/etc/synfig_modules.cfg benchmark.sifz ==> benchmark.png: HECHO benchmark.sifz: Rendered in 36.0385 seconds. carlos@pcnuevo:~/Descargas$

:smiley: