FOLLOW UP
==========

1. Release candidates DONE
  2. Contribute with translations updates.DONE
  3. New colored icons for layers from Yu Chen.DONE
  4. New past splash screen (light house from rylleman) DONE
  5. Official Release binaries and source package upload DONE
  6. Release Notes (RN) DONE
  7. The official RN must be published at synfig.org including screenshots, and possibly further explanations than the RN This is the Press Release (PR). (owner: genete) Needed English spell checking and style review.
  8. A short version of the PR should be spread out to the basic magazines and blogs. (owner: genete) It should include the link to the entry in the synfig.org article from the previous post. PENDING
  9. The PR and its short version should be translated to all the possible languages and should be spread out to other local magazines. (owners: wanted) French: Animtim
  10. Binaries created in the step 5) are for linux OS. Windows binaries (owner: pixelgeek) PENDING Ping other packagers (owner: wanted).
  11. Update the wiki with the new features. Update the wiki with the fixed features. Update the wiki again and again… Morn

Thanks to contributors!
-G

[size=85]Hi!
I’ve started the release procedure for 0.62.02.
There are pending things to complete in the application to be considered ready to release and I want to list them here to your knowledge and contribution:

Procedure schedule:

1. Release candidate #1, #2, etc. As many as needed to polish the official release. (owner: genete)
  2. Contribute with translations updates. (owners: Translators). Suggestions for missing translatable strings are welcome.
  3. I would like to include the amazing set of new colored icons for layers from Yu Chen. (owner: jcome & genete)
  4. This time there won’t be splash screen contest. We have decided that only when major number change is produced there will be a splash constest. Meanwhile we will use finalists from other past contests. Select splash and modify code to allow that (owner: genete). Thanks to zelgadis for clean up the splash code an disable the dual splash screen.
  5. Once the releases candidates are enough to consider possible the release it is needed to modify the code again and produce the packages and binaries for the release. This include update the NEWS, COPYRIGHTS, AUTHORS and other files. This is the official release of the code and the start up of the new coding cycle. (owner: genete)
  6. Create a Release Notes (RN). There will be a official English plain text with the release notes that will be uploaded to SF. (owner: genete). Help is wanted for English syntax and spell check.
  7. The official RN must be published at synfig.org including screenshots, and possibly further explanations than the RN. (owner: wanted)
  8. A short version of the RN should be spread out to the basic magazines and blogs. (owner: genete) It should include the link to the entry in the synfig.org article from the previous post.
  9. The RN should be translated to all the possible languages and should be spread out to other local magazines. (owners: wanted)
  10. Binaries created in the step 5) are for linux OS. Windows binaries (owner: pixelgeek) Ping other packagers (owner: wanted).
  11. Update the wiki with the new features. Update the wiki with the fixed features. Update the wiki again and again… (owners: wanted) I’ll do my best with the really new features with the seed of the pages for them but the collaboration of all of you is absolutely needed.

As you can see there is not fixed schedule. All depends on how much you contribute on test the RC and update the translations and so. I would like to freeze the code (do not admit more bug fixes, translations or patches) at maximum in three weeks, so please contribute with translations and testing the RC.

As a novelty this time we will release a snapshot binaries for the bones development branch. It will be done just after the release of the code and will include all the polish of the 0.62.02 release plus the bonus of the bones feature. This release is the milestone to continue working with the bones feature. It needs:

1. Release of regular snapshot binaries of the development branch. (owner: genete)
  2. Write down the tasks to do and the basic current usage of the bones feature. (owners: genete and nikitakit)
  3. Develop the tasks listed. (owners: genete and nikitakit)
  4. Contribute, comment, suggest, test and use the features of the bones. (owner: you the user) Feed back is very important.

If any of the current listed owners disagree with the proposal please let me know. Also any offer for owner of any task is very welcome.

There we go!
-G
[/size]

The windows build is a bit of a mess right now. I haven’t caught up with the GTK -> gui folder name changes… I’ll see if I can get it up & running this weekend.
I can ping the fink packager, as I see him IRL :slight_smile: I can ping the others too if we have a list.

Chris

Simplified Chinese Version: jcome :slight_smile:

I’m expert destroying software and finding bugs XD (well, maybe just finding how destroying software)

Woop! Bones!
@ H13N.H3N I’m good at breaking software too.

Still needing helpers for items 7,9,10 & 11… Anyone?

Remember that the success of the release depends on your collaboration. I can’t stand to do all the items! :wink:

Thanks!!
-G

Here is the release notes for 0.62.02. Please someone English native review it and fix it. Thanks!!!
-G
0.62.02 Release Notes.txt (1.88 KB)

My review of the release notes. It still reads a bit bland, though I guess that can be expected.
0.62.02 Release Notes.txt (2.19 KB)

Thanks nikitakit, I’ll try to add tiny additions to make it a little more verbose. Anyway the Press Release is the one that should be more complete. This is only to serve as guide and to upload to sourceforge.

So, now the patches time is up and the release process has entered the second stage. I’m building the binaries now for a pre-release and then I will do the latest modifications in the NEWS files and add the tags in the git repository. After that the source code won’t be changed more for this release.

It is still needed help for the remaining tasks. Specially the Press Release creation. I’ll start to do it but I’ll be slow on that task and help on that will be very useful.

-G

Binaries and source packages are available at sourceforge:
sourceforge.net/projects/synfig/

Pending to create the Release Notes and the rest of tasks
-G

[quote=“Genete”]
Still needing helpers for items 7,9,10 & 11… Anyone?

NATIVE LANGUAGE: ENGLISH

I can start work on item 11 (detailing the new features in Wiki) but will need a windows executable release please.

I’m going to start in order listed in release notes so if anyone else was thinking of doing this, it would be best for us to name the feature here so we don’t duplicate work.

Morn.

Thank you very much for the help. I’ll add you to the tasks list matrix.
-G

I’ll translate the release note in French now !

Thanks! added to the Follow up at the first post.
-G

Here it is :smiley:
0.62.02 Release Notes_Fr.txt (2.69 KB)

Thanks!
Deserves mention that the new splash screen is the finalist of the 0.62.00 challenge from David Rylander (rylleman). I’ve corrected it in to the releases notes because it was now decided yet when I wrote it.
sourceforge.net/projects/synfig/ … t/download
Update of the download area of the website done. Check follow up at first post.

-G
splash_screen.png

I’m getting in charge of task 7). Please, I need English native review and style polish once I finish it.
-G

I need someone with synfig.org redactor rights to complete or either English review the current one. Anyone? (I can provide redactor rights to the website easily)
Come on!!! :smiley:
-G

Press release is out. Please critics.

synfig.org/en/news/releases/95-s … 02-release

-G

Nice Press release, makes me want to spend more time testing the new version!

I’ll do the french trad ASAP! :wink: