sound questions, i need help

hey guys,
I have asked about sound before. I need to help my friend make an animation out of drawings he has done and it requires voices etc. Anyway, synfig doesnt do sound right? If no, then how do you guys do your voices. It would be tedious doing it with a movie editor for many reasons. When doing voices and moving the characters mouths, surely i would need to do it on the fly since I dont know how well it moves untill i can put the audio on it. I dont want to keep opening and saving for a movie editot.

How do you do it? Have you got tutorials?

Thank you.

Hi simzy39,
here is a quick recipe:

1. Create the mouth phonemes in a still images (jpg) as needed by Papagayo
  2. Use papagayo to sync the phonemes to the voices sounds.
  3. Export from papagayo the sync files and import them to Synfig Studio. Modify the file from papagayo to fit your fps as explained in this article.
  4. Using the images produced by the import to Synfig Studio, copy the phonemes to the real animation by smooth or step interpolation with the vector art from Synfig Studio.

Hope it helps
-G

:laughing: I have a similar (but different) method of doing it.

1. Make an accurate storyboard (not accurately drawn, but accurately timed) in any video software, insert voices and everything.
  2. When you’re finally happy, export the Audio as one file.
  3. Make sure you decide FPS beforehand! Ordinarily, 15 is fine.
  4. Download JLipsync. The X-Sheet it offers is rad! Set the framerate you decided and import sound.
  5. Set your preferred lip-movement accordingly. No need to export, just keep them open for reference.

Now you see, the X-Sheet is rad, especially because it helps you carefully map your animation timing and take notes accordingly. When you set the FPS, which should be the same in JLipsync and Synfig, it automatically divides the frames to let you know WHICH FRAME to have a certain movement. This could help not only for lipsyncing but other actions as well.

1. Open Synfig and start animating! :laughing:
  2. Once you’re done, replace the stating pictures from your Video Storyboard with the actual animation. You’ll notice that the animation and the sound automatically sync (so long as your storyboard is also the same FPS).

That’s pretty much exactly how I do it. I agree that JLipSync is great! I use the Blender VSE and gradually replace my storyboards with finished segments of animation. On longer projects especially, it can be very motivating to see your work taking shape in this way.

Matt