[SOLVED] Render Width and Height Ignored

I created a basic animation by importing two SVGs and animating some properties. The largest SVG was defined at 1280x720, but the initial canvas size in synfig was for some reason 720x480. In the canvas settings, I changed the image size to 1280x720. Now it seems to have the right size and proportion both in the Canvas window and in the Preview. However, when I render out the animation to dv, it renders at 720x480, clipping the excess.

I tried:

$ synfig -t dv -w 1280 -h 720 filename.sifz

As well as from synfigstudio:

EDIT: Sorry, ignore my previous post. I wasn’t reading your post properly.

The problem is you are locking the pixel aspect for square pixels. What that means is that you can’t render to DV as you need non-square pixels horizontally to squash the widescreen image to 4:3 DV frame size. Hopefully you’ll find unchecking the “Pixel Aspect” check box will help.

In fact, to be on the safe side I’d also uncheck the Image Span.

Alternatively you can render using square pixels using your full frame size of 1280 x 720 as a png sequence or as a lossless FFMPEG-HuffyUV .avi file and then convert the video to DV using ffmpeg or Kdenlive or another tool of your choice.

Thank you for the reply.

I should have stated in my post that I tried unchecking those boxes. “Image Span” seemed to have no effect, but unchecking “Pixel Aspect” just squashed the entire video into 4:3, so squares were no longer square. I tried many other combinations of these checkboxes, but ultimately found that any combination not involving “Pixel Aspect” simply squashed the video. But with it, the excess is simply cut off to make it 4:3.

I should have also mentioned that I tried formats other than dv. I was unable to get ffmpeg to work (“Broken Pipe” errors from the ffmpeg binary). I did, however, just try your suggestion with PNGs, which worked successfully.

$ synfig -t png inputfile.sfiz $ mencoder "mf://*.png" -mf type=png:fps=24 -ovc lavc -o output.avi

This is not ideal, but it does work. I didn’t look much into the ffmpeg errors, but as that would be more convenient it may be prudent to do so.