Small Self Portrait

Hi,

I’m still very new to synfig, but I wanted to try using it as a drawing tool to help me decide if I’m going to use Synfig, or inkscape to draw characters for future animations. I didn’t find Synfig to be too intuitive, but I was able to quickly sketch out this self portrait.

I would like some opinions on this, and any improvements I should make. I still need to clean up a lot of lines, and add shading and backgrounds, but any input on what I’ve got so far would be great!

http://i.imgur.com/KOEiiG4.png

What are the major benefits of using synfig for drawing in your animations? Are there any upcoming improvements?

I use inkscape. mainly for pragmatic reasons. I have inkscape on my works machine so I can work on characters durring lunchbreaks. Its probably not the right way to do it, but I then import the svg file in and group the drawing and move each group so its origin is where i want it to pivot. I then re assemble the character and add transform layers. Also I used to do a lot of drawing in flash and its take a while to get used to working in inkscape

Hi!
I do all my drawing in synfig, because most of the advanced stuff in Inkscape does not get exported to sif anyway and by drawing in Synfig I picked up the basics and the importance of groups in Synfig a bit quicker, but in the end I think it’s just a matter of preference. I don’t know Inkscape that well so directly drawing in Synfig goes faster for me. Drawing in Toonboom is not the same as in Illustrator so I don’t think that it is a necessity that drawing in Synfig should be the same as drawing in Inkscape.
Greetz!

edit: portrait is really nice. I would change the line thickness here and there but like you said it is a wip. Would be cool to see it animated.

Thanks! I did find it a great learning process, and that now I have a much better understanding of how groups work, as well as many of the tools that synfig offer. Hopefully while I’m shading I’ll learn a ton about how the gradient layers work.

I might start learning inkscape though as it looks like the Morevna project wants 2d artwork done in either that or gimp, and I do plan on working with them to get a better understanding of synfig and blender.

Hi everyone,

I fixed a couple of things that were bothering me, and I’m about to get ready doing some shading, and finer details, but I was wondering if anyone had any input about the width tool.

Let me know what you think so far!

imgur.com/lUO9Q6v

EDIT: Answered of one my own dumb questions, and removed it.