Simplistic GUI Setup

Hello, if you can’t tell. I’m new here, and new to synfig. Already, I have some problems with it. The gui doesn’t make much sense. There are a few things that would make it much more simplistic. Number one, and this has been suggested already, a single window. Having them all floating around is kind of a pain. Second, new project. Whenever you make a new project, it doesn’t ask for the resolution or ratio. I still don’t know how to change it. Third, ipos. This won’t make any sense to anyone who hasn’t used blender, but in blender there is a graph called an ipo graph which has the keyframes for each channel of an object. I’m not suggesting that synfig needs a graph, but a simple plus and minus button for keying objects, like pencil. Currently the keying doesn’t make any sense. Also, tablet’s are still extremely finicky in terms of getting to draw with them.

Hello GraphiX, welcome to Synfig! I hope you’ll enjoy using it.

You’ll be pleased to hear that there is already a project underway to improve the Synfig GUI. The programmers on the Synfig Studio team are really overstretched but this is something that is going to be worked on. A single window mode is amongst the improvements that is planned.

There are two places. To set up the default Document X and Y size for all new files you go to the Toolbox’s File Menu > Setup… In the Document Tab there are various defaults for new documents you can set up.

To change the Document X and Y resolution for the current file you use the caret menu in the document window. The caret menu looks like a little triangle at the junction of the horizontal and vertical rulers. Go to Edit > Properties and there are plenty of things there for you to adjst.

Synfig has its own system which I think is pretty good when you get used to it. There is a curves window and also a keyframes window and they are very, very powerful when you get the hang of them. If I were you I’d download some example Synfig files from the gallery of Synfig.org and play with the window at the bottom of the screen.

In my experience, if you give learning Synfig Studio a little time it will repay your efforts hugely.

Have fun, and if you need any more help just ask!