Semi-Realistic Body Parts (Fingers and Toes) [solved for now]

Hello again, everyone!! :smiley:

I am currently started making my own synfig animation. And i do have a question. But let me explain the plan first.

The animation will be made with combining several other free and trusted software works (animations from synfig, bg from a free painting software, sound recording with audacity, etc) and combine them all in Shotcut (open-source video editor).
Still, it’s just a plan and i’m not sure if it’ll be very effective in both quality and time yet (well, not in time consumption for sure) :unamused:
It might gonna took a long time, maybe two months (or even more)

I’ll keep the storyline secret for now. At least until it almost done.

Anyway, back to the topic.
I’m struggling with the modelling right now, most of them are the arm and body joints, which requires me to patch the lines out, avoiding overlaps.
Well, those are not much of a big deal. Until i reached the fingers and toes part. :open_mouth:

The goal is to connect the joints of fingers with its palms and toes with its feet, but also make sure the line on joints is not showing up.
The other goal is making each finger parts, divided by joints connections
Just… how ? :confused:

I was thinking of making the opening of the unlooped finger layer facing the palm but that will give more problem in connecting the finger parts.
I also thinking of making a finger patch from finger region duplicate but i realized it wasn’t a good idea. It will put the region layer in front of the outline.
And one of my rule is to make the layer stacks keep consistent, where the outline layer must be above of its region layer. :frowning:
Same goes with the toes and feet.

Any solutions…? :unamused:

Do you really need an explicit animated hand? Is it absolutely needed for any scene in particular?

If the reply to those question is no, then just draw hand poses and switch form, one to other in the right time. Usually the right time is when the character changes its global pose and the arm is moving. Doing like that the audience wouldn’t notice the hand change and would like like animated.

Even is the reply is yes you can simplify a lot the hand by doing a cartoon version of it.

See one example of that:
segtsy.com/blog/?p=448
-G

Thanks, but i’ll pass that suggestion. That’s a good idea for simple animation, though :smiley:

I’m aiming in such an extreme goal, to make sure that i can use one human model for different animations and/or scenes. Too advanced, i know. So i’ll try to play out with its basics first. :unamused:

But, don’t worry. i got the way. I decided to remake the character and try not to use any patch this time (or at least only one or two). Shades are still welcome. :slight_smile:
There might be a slight imperfection in the end but even frame by frame animations have them, right ? (and it’s still interesting to watch :wink: )
Also, using smaller amount of patches will make the animation process for front-back rotation much easier.

This also goes with the finger (not sure if it goes with the toes as well) by putting the finger groups in front of palms layer.