regular noob with regular question

Hey im new to the software and all but It look real nice and i plan to start using it lots

but im having probs alrdy

1.How do you resize and set properties of a new doc?
when I open Synfig its give me a blank doc that looks like a checker board.
and every time i say give new doc it dont give me options or anything like that

i cant really do much till i know how to do this so

ill ask more question then

Thxs to whoever helps

There are a pair of options to solve that problem:

1. In previous versions of Synfig Studio it pops up a Settings window to ask the user about what are the main values for a new empty created file. Most of the time people just say OK to the default value so the developers decided to remove that behavior and directly create the new file with the default values. You can revert the original behavior just enabling an environmental variable before run SynfigStudio.

just run the following command before run SynfigStudio:

export SYNFIG_ENABLE_NEW_CANVAS_EDIT_PROPERTIES=1

For further referneces on environment variables please read this link

1. You can access to the Canvas Properties Dialog (the wiki is a little out of date) by going to Caret Menu->Edit->Properties. Alternatively you can access to this dialog by pressing F8. See the Keyboard shortcuts for more useful info.

For more information and reference help see this link:

synfig.org/Documentation

Welcome to Synfig! :smiley:

-G

Thxs

now to experiment some

ill have more questions soon you can bet on it :wink:

I forgot to log in lol

Ok I keep seeing all these screen shots that look nothing like my synfigstudio

synfig.org/Animation_Basics

I have the latest version but my screens look nothing like that^^^

ok now for more questions

1. Can I make just a circle with out it being full of color?

Just so yall im keep yall busy with questions
^-^;

Hi wildhare,

You’re right, some of the images of that tutorial are out of date. Maybe you can edit the wiki and contribute to update them? There has been a lot of changes in synfig during the last 12 months and some areas of the wiki are not updated. Any help on the wiki would be welcome. :smiley:

Regarding to your question, a circle is a circle (full of color) :wink:. What maybe you want is a circunference. There are two ways to do a circunference:

1. The easy way. Use the Circle Tool and check on the Outline option only. To do that you need a compiled version of the program (newer than the 0.61.08 release). You can obtain some unofficial precompiled packages that have that option implemented in the Download area of the wiki. With this option you’ll obtain a Bline outline with a cicular shape.
  2. If you don’t have that option in the Circle tool you can obtain a circunference in this way:
  1. Create a circle
  2. Duplicate the Circle layer. To do this you should select the layer and make right click and select “Duplicate” from the drop down menu.
  3. Select the circle layer that is on top of both circle layers. I believe that it is the original one.
  4. Now make the radius of that circle a little smallr than the other one. To do that just drag the radius duck with the mouse.
  5. Now (with the top circle selected) search for the Blend Method parameter in the Params list Dialog. Click on the parameter value and select Alpha Over from the drop down list. It is at the end of the list. This would blend the top circle over the lower circle making it transparent.
  6. Continuing with the top circle selected, move a little the circle center. Don’t worry. Do it. It will be fixed later.
  7. Now select also the bottom circle making CTRL left click over the visible part of the bottom circle.
  8. Once that both circles layers are selected (you should see the center ducks of boths) select both circles centers by CTRL + left click. Now make right click over one of them and select “Link” from the drop down list. It would align both circles and prevent for future disaligments

Notice that the difference between the top circle’s radius and the lower circle’s radius defines the circunference thinkness.

Last thing. To prevent the top circle to make transparent to any other layer that could be below both circles you should “encapsulate” them. This would isolate their blending mode to the blending mode of the container layer. To do it select both circle layers (using CTRL meanwhile left click) and after that do right click → Encapsulate.

Visit the synfig.org/Circle_Tool wiki pages for more information.

Also this tutorial can help you:

synfig.org/Building_a_magnifying_glass

Also a good place to start reading for other information is this link:

synfig.org/Documentation

-G