random operation

Is it possible that an effect is run randomly over time? (i.e. simulation of a disco light)

There is a “random” convert type. If you check out some effects, such as noise, you can convert the random seed so that it changes with time. Doing disco lighting is probably a matter of clever linking.

Absolutely. Please show me a particular case (a basic sample file) and I’ll help you. I can convert that to a tutorial for the challenge of this month :wink:
-G

Hi Genete. Here is the file. I would like that the effect of blur was random. As you can see, I have defined all the times of lit and turned off, but the result does not seem me satisfactory (it senses the sequence). Of course that I could change the times to other better, but I think that the best result would be the random. (I’m not sure that the time loops works as I want to).
I wait for your tutorial. :mrgreen:

Hola Genete. Aquí está el archivo. Me gustaría que el efecto de desenfoque fuera aleatorio. Como puedes ver, he definido todos los tiempos de encendido y apagado, pero el resultado no me parece satisfactorio (se nota la secuencia). Por supuesto que podría cambiar los tiempos a otros mejores, pero creo que el mejor resultado sería el aleatorio. (No estoy seguro de que los bucles de tiempo funcionen como quiero).
animando luces.sifz (3.48 KB)

This weekend I’ll d the tutorials.
-G

Well, this case is a simple solution so I think it is enough to write down the steps here:

(in your particular file)

1. Delete the current Time Loop and Blur Layers from each light.
    (for the general case)
  2. Add a Blur layer over the composition you want to blur. In this case the on each small light.
  3. Do right click over the Amount parameter (which is currently set to 1.0) and select: Convert->Switch

that would provide two three parameters:

1. Link On
  2. Link Off
  3. Switch

initially, both “Link On” and “Link Off” are linked so modify one of them modify the other.

1. Do right click on one of the “Link On” or “Link Off” and select: “Disconnect”. That will unlink both parameters.
  2. Set one of them (it doesn’t matter which one) to be 2.0 and the other to be 0.0.
  3. Now do right click on the “Switch” parameter and select: Convert->Random. This will provide six sub parameters.
  1. Link
  2. Radius
  3. Seed
  4. Animation Speed
  5. Interpolation
  6. Loop Time
  1. Modify the Radius parameter to be 2.0 and the Speed to be 6. The speed means the number of times that the value would be randomized on each second. So for a 24 fps movie a speed of 24 mean a probable change on each frame. I mean probable because it is random, remember.

With this you have a basic random amount for the blur layer which will be animated randomly between 0 or 2 in a random way. notice that the result is biased because you cannot provide a central value for the Link sub parameter. So the whole range for a Link parameter = ON is this:
link=1; radius=2; maximum=link+ radius minimum = link -radius
maximum = 3 minimum = -1
from -1 to 0.5 the result will be OFF
from 0.5 to 3 the result will be ON
So it has a bias of 0.5

8 ) Copy and paste the Blur layer on each small light after remove the current blur and time loop layers. Copy and paste a layer that has a random seed inside it, produces a copy with a different random seed by default so you end with a set of blur layer with different random seeds and so different random animations.

Attached is the file and a sample image:
animando-luces.gif
animando luces.sifz (3.32 KB)

Thank you, Genete.
Though you believe that it’s sufficient, I believe that you might do the tutorial. Many people like me would be grateful for it. Bear in mind that those that we begin with a program, the tutoriales help us enormously (even a good collection of tutoriales can be the difference among using a program or not). Although it seems to you to be simple, I don’t believe that I had discovered it without your help. :smiley:

Gracias, Genete.
Aunque creas que es suficiente, creo que podrías hacer el tutorial. Mucha gente como yo lo agradecería. Ten en cuenta que a los que empezamos con un programa, los tutoriales nos ayudan enormemente (incluso una buena colección de tutoriales puede ser la diferencia entre usar un programa o no). Y aunque te parezca sencillo, no creo que lo hubiera descubierto sin tu ayuda. :smiley: