Problem installing/using synfig

I installed synfig without (seemingly) any problems, but when I open the program within a few seconds I get a box saying “synfig studio has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”…
I’m using Windows 7…
How can I get synfig to work?
Thanks.

Hi aidy,
although it is set by default, it is possible that you have unchecked the “Use single thread” option on the Setup dialog. Please open Synfig Studio again and check that the option is enabled.
In other case, delete the ‘synfig’ folder under User Data and run Synfig Studio again.
If it fails, re-install Synfig Studio.
-G

Thanks for your reply.
I cant open Synfig, so I can’t access the ‘Set up’.
I can’t find ‘User data’ on my computer anywhere.
I uninstalled and reinstalled twice (on one occasion I ran the program, on another I saved it)…
…still the same problem.
Also, I looked at Properties and changed the compatability to Windows 7 from Windows XP…
…still the same problem.
What shall I try next?
I could try earlier versions…

I’ve seen a couple of comments talking about problems with AMD processors, although I can’t imagine why that should have any impact. What CPU do you have?

Yes indeed I have an AMD Vision A6 3430MXprocessor!
I bought a Samsung NT305V5A-T65D only 2 weeks ago especially for use in making a short film… an animation sequence of 2 mins is crucial… The laptop has a Quad Core and Radeon Graphics, with Win 7.
What else should I try?

Hi Genete, Pixelgenie, and other administrators,
Can you pls help with me not being able to open Synfig?
I will also look at other threads in the hope of finding info about AMD processor problems.
Thnx.

I’m sorry Aidy, I don’t know what to suggest to help you. I don’t have any AMD systems that I can try it on, and even if I did, the tools for debugging Linux compiled programs under Windows are basic to say the least.

Ideally, eventually, I would like to convert Synfig so that we can compile it using a Microsoft compiler - then all the windows debug tools become available, and that might give us a clue as to how to track down issues such as you report. But that’s not going to happen anytime soon.

Sorry,
Chris

Thanks for letting me know Chris.
All the best,
Aidy.