Physics - Mysterious Magnetism

Just finished this after over a month of work. xD youtube.com/watch?v=wKdqCqTzSnI

Hello,

I was browsing for the forum and I saw your animation. Congratulations. To me, It’s a very good work. I feel it could be used in a TV program easily.

About the story itself, at first I was confused when at the moment of explaining magnetism, it introduced new concepts as polarity and charges. But then that concepts were explained too. The images helps to explain the concepts, and the narration is clear. I didn’t remember how the magnetism is produced ¿oposite diferent rotations of the electrons mmm? Totaly forgot that.

I wish that you could explain how did you created the project. What layers did you use, transformation layers?, How did you manage the diferent sequences? What tools used for adding the sound, and the video-thumbnails at the end?

Awesome work!

The animation is great, very nicely done.

The explanation though makes me cringe a bit when it says that a magnet is positively charged at one pole and negatively charged at the other. There is no such thing as “magnetic charge” because there is no magnetic monopole. Neither is there any “giving or receiving of charge” because there is no charge.

There is only magnetic dipoles (ie. electrons and their spin/orbit). At one pole of the magnet the dipoles point out at the other pole they point in. Dipoles attract each other when pointing the in the same direction and repel each other when pointing in opposite directions. So that’s why opposite poles attract.

Another way to put it is that magnetic lines cannot cross. Therefore magnets push each other away when their field lines are pointing in opposite directions, because the field lines would be forced to deform (ie. to prevent crossing). But attract when their field lines are pointing in the same direction because the field lines “connect” and “pull” into each other.

“Every electron in an atom is a tiny magnet, an when they spin around they produce an electrical current”. This statement is backwards. Every electron is an tiny electric charge and when they spin around they produce a tiny magnetic field.

Sorry for the small lecture, it’s just that as an electronic engineer it bugs be a bit to see terms being misused like that. :wink:

There are tiny mistakes but they don’t hide the didactical part of the video nor its animation quality. Great work.
-G

Yes, everything else is definitely good and well explained.

Thanks, guys! :smiley:

Ho ho ho! The animation itself took a very long time (about a month and a half, I think). I actually used Zelgadis’ “Remake” to manage the entire project, with each sequences in separate folders (and each file being separate sequences within that folder, in case I need to make “two” or more sequences – such as 2D and 3D in the same scene – and overdropped upon each other). All the sequences, including sound, were compiled in Blender. :smiley: Piece of cake (not for the lip-sync, so we completely ditched lipsyncing!

Video Thumbnail, well, just pick any rendered frame you like, and edit it in GIMP. :slight_smile:

Yikes! I totally made that error! Thanks for mentioning it! D: I’ll need to find out a way to change the information in the video… but my recording equipments are lame, and it’ll definitely create disrepencies…

Ah, this one always confuses me, but I think what I meant was that every electron is a tiny magnet “because” they have – or are – electro-magnetic charges. The “current” they produce when spinning would be what makes the magnetic field.