Particles

Thanks for your response Genete,

It’s almost embarrassing how lame this animation is, but I’ve gone ahead and spread it out onto the interwebz. :slight_smile:

The video is here… youtube.com/watch?v=abYaFuCuZUc

The .sif file is here… test.tgz (153 KB)

You can see the little blue circle that the particle emitter is linked to. My question is, and I know it’s a big question. How to animate (move/rotate) the particle emitter with the command module, but have the particles free float relative to the background.

If you didn’t get it yet this project is my response to the Aug/Sept Challenge. The easy part is, the movie’s obvious before the thing even starts leaking.

(Please note! I’ve got a flippin’ YouTube now. This could get awkward! :wink:)

[edit] Cleaned up previous edits…

I had to read that three times for it to sink in. I got it! But in doing it I realized I didn’t know how to properly link a value. I can’t really explain what I was doing, but I was getting confusing results. I’ve relinked the emitter to a star layer. That gives ducks for angle, origin, and two linear items(currently X and Y size). I’m getting it figured out.

My biggest question now is, can an item within an inline canvas, calculate its origin position within the global canvas? That would at least partially solve the the question from earlier about inline particles free floating on the global canvas. Since the inline origin could be translated to a global value for a particle setup within the global canvas.

Thanks for your input. No need to respond unless you can answer that “biggest” question. I’ll just keep stirring around in it.

[edit] Regarding finding an items position in global coordinates, for simple origins I understand that I could use add to find origins within an inline canvas, but as soon as you mix in a rotate it gets confused.

Hi BentFX, please wait a bit until I find some free time to open your file on my computer and reply to the “big question”. :wink:
-G

Hi BentFX,
the problem with your composition is that you rotate the whole particles once they have been rendered. This cause that even making them free floating, the particles rotate as a whole (source and particles) so you don’t get the desired effect.

To obtain the effect you effectively need to rotate the x and y position of the particles source by it self. You can do this by:

1. Go to Children Panel and right click on the OriginX and select convert it to Cosine. Same with OriginY and convert it to Sine.
  2. Link the two radius sub parameters as well as the two angle sub parameters. Or if you like to move in an ellipse just give different values to each radius.
  3. Animate the Alpha and you’re done.

In general, the pair of OriginX and OriginY value nodes are the responsible of the particles movement. Just convert them to be linked, obtained or attached to any math composition and you will obtain the particles travelling that path.

For example, it is interesting to attach particles to a bline, would you dare to achieve it? :wink:
-G
particles-rotation.sifz (7.88 KB)