Music visualization

Hi artists!
This is the first artwork I have ever created using Synfig Studio. It is a music visualization video, meaning the images animate in sync with the music. This is what you see in many music players, (e.g Windows Media Player), but I just want to make something truly different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxzzcofI5us
I started this project in mid July 2014. No, it’s not as long as you think :smiley: ! I didn’t work on it in any fixed schedule. Some days I got hooked on it for 2 hours, some days I ran out of ideas, being too exhausted or busy doing something else. I guess, on average I worked 20 minutes a day.
If you can, please leave a comment on the video. Any like or share is even more appreciated, of course! You can check out the links to my Facebook and Twitter page on the channel. Thanks for watching!

Uff… It has a lot of work.

I like it. The animation is cool, but I don’t like that music, sorry. : ) At 20 seconds I had to quiet it. : )

Really great abstract animation.
Good timing. Also great music.

Thanks for your feedback!
I understand the music isn’t suitable for everyone. However if you notice, its notes are systematically arranged, making the timing process quite easier. I find recording the keyframe for every note extremely difficult.
That’s why I chose this track :slight_smile: .

Very nice result ! and from my side, i’m found of every kind of electronic music … :wink: Do you know this music video from Etienne de Crecy ?

Did you use synfig export / link / conversion … in brief Data Linking capacities ?

Heck ? what do you mean ?

I’m glad you like it! By the way thanks for showing me that video. I have always been looking for such visualizations.
Hmm, I only use Linking at some points. The others seem quite complicated.

It’s like doing this: You start the music and a timer at the same time. You press the lap button every time a note is played (like playing the track yourself just by clicking one button). After that you can get a list like this:
0.536 (sec)

The problem with this is that we can’t be accurate, and converting the time from millisecond to frames in Synfig is even more challenging.
Here is a brief look at how I did this :stuck_out_tongue:. You may understand somewhat more.

Since synfig has some different time stamp visualization, it doesn"t have milliseconds … could be an enhancement request

From software like audacity you have a beat finder, could be used in some cases with a little homebrew scirpt to add keyframe to synfig for example

Wow :astonished: , your posts are so useful. Thank you really, really much d.j.a.y! This can help me a lot for the next projects.

Perhaps a tool like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.rodaroboten.motiontimer can help you?

Thanks rylleman for showing me this! However in music visualization videos, what’s most needed is extreme accuracy. The method of recording manually is not suitable, especially for tracks running as fast as the one I choose (sorry, my English is not good enough to express my ideas clearly!).
It’s still better to rely on the pattern of the notes to time everything. The final product is still somehow out of sync for these reasons:

• When I assemble png sequences into videos using ffmpeg, I could find no command to set the video length. Instead, after assembling, I just calculated how much it must run slower/faster to be as long as the music part, then executed it.
  • Maybe the clocks in ffmpeg, Audacity (which I used to find out the music parts’ lengths) and in the video editor don’t run at the same speed?
    So, I guess I’ll have to learn to code & make my own customized tools…
    Again, thanks for your help!

Understansble, just thought as youre doing it manually now this was s bettet tool.

Why convert o video before editing? Import png-seq directly in editor.

If needed you set framerate in ffmpeg, not length.

I believe this feature may solve the problem.

Hi guys, tell me what you need to create such Vj Loops?