Multiplaning

Hey everyone.

I’ve read the tutorials, and mostly, I’ve comprehended it. 3 thing that I haven’t yet is switching scenes (because of it gives tutorials of the older version), walk cycle (I thought I was supposed to import something, but I couldn’t find what. I can figure this out though), and multiplan camera.

I need help with multiplan camera. I’ve read through the tutorial, and tried to go along as I read, but I still don’t understand what I am supposed to do after I make the temporary circle. I don’t even know if I’m putting it in the right spot. I’m keep putting it above the “MAIN” encapsulated layer. From there, the directions aren’t clear to me. It says:

Connecting it all.

*First export the Z-value from MAIN. Name it MAIN_Z.
*Also export the origin from MAIN as MAIN_origin.
*Next we’ll need an inverted version of this value to use in our calculations.
*For that create a temporary layer, say a circle.
*Choose a real value and convert it to a scale value.
*Connect the MAIN_Z-value to Link and set scalar to -1.
*Select the value and export as MAIN_Z_INVERTED. Delete the temporary circle layer.
*We’ll also want the PLANE_01 Z-value so export that as PLANE_01_Z
*Now we’ll want the planes to scale based on it’s distance from the camera. We’ll use Z-depth to decide where the layer is in space.

As before, I am stuck on the temporary circle (4th step from the top). What is a real value? Which real value? The real value of the encapsulated “MAIN” or the circle layer? How do I get to it?

Would someone clear this up for me please?

I’ve personally never followed the Multiplane tutorial so I can’t tell you directly what’s going wrong. Maybe the tutorial’s author can see it quickly.
-G

Sorry for any confusion with my tutorial. It is quite technical in its language. Also math and programming is not my strong side so there may be some odd calculations in there…

First if your circle is outside of the MAIN layer just drag it so its contained within it. See the image in the tutorial where you see how all layers should be placed.
You see that some layers are shifted to the right in the layers panel, that means they are contained within the layer above.

Next a “real” value is a ordinary number value. If you look at the zoom-value image in the tutorial you see that in the 3rd column it says “type” follow that down and you see some values is said to be “real”. Export one of these from the temporary circle layer.
The use of a temporary circle layer is so you can export values from this without breaking some other functionality in the calculation. When the setup is done you can safely remove the temporary layer.

Again, sorry for the confusion. If there are other points you think are unclear, please ask again.

Thanks! I’m gonna try again a little bit later.

Hi. I hope I’m not reviving a dead thread here but I had a few questions about the tutorial and real values too. Several times exporting “different real-values” is mentioned and I can’t figure out what that means. Am I supposed to export all the real-values? confused
(Ex. BLUR
Add a blur layer and convert it’s blend method to straight. (Due to a bug, convert blend method to scale and set link subparameter to 1)
Create a temporary blur layer for exporting values.
Export size as initial-blur and set value to 1.00x1.00
Export different real-values as falloff, near-focus and far-focus)
Thanks!!

Since Synfig Studio doesn’t provide a way to create an exported value node from scratch, it needs one layer and its parameter to create them. You can create exported real values using for example a circle layer and exporting its radius (whichis a real parameter) or any other layer that has a real parameter and exporting it. Give them the proposed names: falloff, near-focus, far-focus, etc. Once done you can delete those dummy layers without trouble because the exported value will remain at the Children Panel.
I hope it helps
-G