Missing icons in Synfig Studio

and some proposals for data-types as their mathematical Set representation.
I don’t like them much and would be willing to rather copy the layout of “draw text” if you got its sources, or drop them completely if you rather have a pictogram than a letter.

B.
real_icon_big.png
boolean_icon.sif (231 KB)
boolean_icon_big.png
boolean_icon.png
integer_icon.sif (231 KB)
integer_icon_big.png
integer_icon.png
real_icon.sif (231 KB)
real_icon.png

Good entries bereth!
It will be difficult to select which will go to the definitive code!
Please be sure to include the proper licenses.
Thanks!
-G

If it is feasible from a license perspective I’d suggest to reuse some icons of Tango set directly (tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library)

I suggest possible reuse locations in each attachment’s comment.
format-indent-more.png
preferences-system.png
preferences-desktop.png
appointment-new.png
view-refresh.png
document-properties.png
system-shutdown.png
go-first.png
go-last.png

going on with reusing Tango icons… I’d suggest having time related navigation

• green when it relates to (key)frames
  • white when it does not

Next/Previous frame could hence remain the green arrow currently used.
go-last.png
go-first.png
media-skip-backward.png
media-skip-forward.png
media-seek-backward.png
media-seek-forward.png

They are built in icons form the GTK resources.
-G

proposals for the Blur layers, you could pick whichever you like most for the context menu entry “blurs”, use the three of them to have blur, motion blur and radial blur.

I tried to remain consistent with the “duplicate” layer icon of genete. any suggestion/improvement is welcome.
B.
radial_blur_layer_icon.sif (19.8 KB)
radial_blur_layer_icon.png
radial_blur_layer_icon_big.png
motion_blur_layer_icon.sif (49.1 KB)
motion_blur_layer_icon.png
motion_blur_layer_icon_big.png
blur_layer_icon.sif (46.1 KB)
blur_layer_icon.png
blur_layer_icon_big.png

Berteh,
can you please post the sifz files of all icons you have contributed? some of them are missing.
Great ones all them!
-G

and some suggestions for a few distortions. Let me know if you want me to go on in this direction for other layers or if you don’t like the idea that much.
I could go in other directions (such as more colors; representing the tool and not the effect; using another reference pictogram…)

Another question: are you OK with getting SVG icons instead of synfig ones?
I like playing with masks and it is not supported by synfig (yet? / afaik?) while inkscape does… so I’d rather use SVG for a few icons if that’s fine with you.

B.
distortions_1.png
distortions_1_big.png
distortions_curve_warp_icon.sif (25.5 KB)
distortions_inside_out_icon.sif (36.1 KB)
distortions_noise_icon.sif (30.2 KB)
distortions_spherize_icon.sif (35.5 KB)

Sorry, must have been my mistake, but could you please tell me for which ones the .sif are lacking? I see them all… but for the original tango icons, which are definitely not available as .sif for now.

Glad you like them.

Yes you’re right. :slight_smile:
-G

nevermind about maks… obviously I can achieve the expected result with “blend mode onto”… somedays I just wake up the wrong way :wink:
my question remains: would it be ok to provide for SVG icons… much more reusable (~standardized) than .sif ones.

Synfig export to svg would be great, by the way, but not on top of my which list!

Below a few proposals for filters layers. I’m not happy with all of them so feel free to improve. I’d use this “color correct” as the icon for the “filters” context menu entry.
B.

PS: edited to add corrected clamp filter icon with thinner contrast bar for enhanced readibility at 16x16px.
filters_clamp_icon_v2.png
filters_clamp_icon_v2_big.png
filters_clamp_icon_v2.sif (70.2 KB)
filters.png
filters_big.png
filters_clamp_icon.sif (70.2 KB)
filters_color-correct_icon.sif (68 KB)
filters_halftone2_icon.sif (41.2 KB)
filters_halftone3_icon.sif (44.3 KB)
filters_luma_icon.sif (42.8 KB)

And proposals for the remaining distortions. I had to change the reference pictogram for “wrap” into a rectangle… for the oval didn’t highlight the effect enough to me… pick whichever you like most… and I’d probably use “stretch” for the context menu entry of “distorsions”, but that’s a matter of taste :wink:
B.
distortions_2.png
distortions_2_big.png
distortions_stretch_icon.sif (31.2 KB)
distortions_twirl_icon.sif (31.4 KB)
distortions_warp_icon.sif (38.8 KB)
distortions_warp_icon_2.sif (37 KB)

Wow berteh! All they do look quite good!

We ask for sif(z) files for two main reasons:

1. They are used at build time to render the different png images used in the application. Synfig should render them at run time so people should only need to provide sifz files, but at the moment it is that way.
  2. Providing sif(z) files you are absolutely sure that your oiriginal artwork is not modified by any third person so there is not need to add any correction.

You can provide svg files too to include them in the wiki for future references. I defeat you to create a svg icon (not a complex art work) that I cannot emulate in Synfig.
… And how do you do the noise distortion, the spherize or the inside-out icons in SVG? :wink:
-G

Thanks. I guess they are alright on blue-/grey-ish background, but useless on black or white background, so if you plan to change the overall synfig interface to go for white I need to know it soon :wink:

Here some proposals for the examples layers. (again: worthless on white bg). feel free to change the color to whatever you like.
B.
examples.png
examples_big.png
examples_rectangle_icon.sif (7.29 KB)
examples_metaballs_icon.sif (9.92 KB)
examples_circle_icon.sif (7.91 KB)

and proposals for the remaining missing layers. I add another one for solid color as well, even if some have already been proposed.
B.
misc_layers_icons_big.png
misc_layers_icons.png
geometry_solid-color_icon.sif (13.8 KB)
layer_other_supersample_icon.sif (85.3 KB)
layer_other_XOR_icon.sif (33 KB)
stylisize_bevel_icon.sif (32.2 KB)
stylisize_shade_icon.sif (33.5 KB)
fractal_julia_icon.sif (53.3 KB)
fractal_mandelbrot_icon.sif (13.4 KB)

a few more proposals: save all, timetrack, increase & decrease amount.
B.
save-all_icon.png
save-all_icon_big.png
save-all_icon.sif (140 KB)
misc_icons_2.png
misc_icons_2_big.png
time-track_icon.sif (59.4 KB)
decrease-amount_icon.sif (75.4 KB)
increase-amount_icon.sif (41.6 KB)

Hey! the icons are great! Thank you very much! :smiley:

For rectangle and circle, can we not reuse the icons used in the tool dialog?
Just a thought…

Chris

Sure you can, in that case rather use one of these updated icon for metaballs, to match the style of the tools icons.
I rather like the “simpler” uni-color ones icons from former post because they match what you get from using the tool… but if you want shades there you go :wink:
B.
examples_metaballs_icon_v3.png
examples_metaballs_icon_v3_big.png
examples_metaballs_icon_v3.sif (22.3 KB)
examples_metaballs_icon_v2.png
examples_metaballs_icon_v2_big.png
examples_metaballs_icon_v2.sif (10.9 KB)

and a new set for data types… again, any suggestion/improvement/idea for that one is welcome… as for the others!

I guess with this set the list of genete is complete, provided you reuse some of the tango set.
Do you need me to make .sif out of a selection of tango svg icons or can you (preferably!) directly use the svg/png provided in tango library?
The list being complete should not prevent anyone from submitting more icons propositions, of course!

B.
data_types_cursor_icons.png
data_types_cursor_icons_big.png
data_types_string_cursor_icon.sif (13.1 KB)
data_types_integer_cursor_icon.sif (13.1 KB)
data_types_real_cursor_icon.sif (13.1 KB)
data_types_list_cursor_icon.sif (87.2 KB)
data_types_boolean_cursor_icon.sif (50.9 KB)
data_types_bline-point_cursor_icon.sif (34.4 KB)
data_types_vector_cursor_icon.sif (44 KB)