Meteor Fall (Failed)

Here, I attempted to do what I said in an earlier post. It…um…didn’t come out as I wanted, but at least I’ve learned what to do, and what not to do.

youtube.com/watch?v=O2d4Y4PHqF0&feature=plcp

nice.
It felt a bit slow on the way towards us. Also you would need to track the camera so your meteor lays still on the ground. Perhaps you could use Blender for that part.

Thank you for the tip and constructive criticism. I’ve been kind of intimidated of Blender, but I think I can learn it.

For camera tracking (when meteor is on the ground and when it is on the air) you can do it manually with Synfig:

1. Create a (small) circle on top of the video sequence. It can be a small cross too.
  2. On each frame (or each needed frame) move the tracking object position to match a steady reference from the background. In the case of the sky it can be the moon.
  3. Export the animated object position of the tracking object.
  4. Add a Translate layer on top of the meteor.
  5. Convert the Origin parameter to Scale. Set the scale subparameter to be -1.0.
  6. Connect the Link parameter to the exported position of the tracking object.

The meteor should be steady now with the steady parts of the video. So its animation should look like steady in reference to the steady ground.

It could be cool that someone turns this into a tutorial…

Cheers
-G

Well, if the video sequence has rotations too then you need two tracking points and extract its angle from them. A little more complex but not impossible.
-G

For this step, should the tracker (dot/cross) need to be on the moon, or next to it (where the meteor starts). The reason I’ve asked because I’ve seen a video tracking tutorial for blender, and they’ve put some rocks on the ground to help keep the object steady.

I can do if once I do it right.

The tracker (the small cross) should be moved to coincide with one steady object or at a fixed distance/angle from a steady object. I selected the moon because at some moment it is the only object visible in the video.

By the way, to sync one moving object with the non steady background I think that you don’t need to scale by -1 the movement of the tracker. Just apply it to the meteor and that’s all.
The scale by -1 is for steady a non steady camera recording.
I’m sorry for the confusion.
Cheers
-G

You’ve given me an idea right here. What if I made a star layer with 4 points, and make it look like a “+” then use that for the rotation? After that’s set, I could export the angle.

You can use whatever you want. The problem is to find two stationery points in the video and that are always parallel to the camera view (to avoid false rotations).
In some case it could be not possible.
-G