Macports install fails on dependency "synfig"

I’m trying to install Synfig on Mac OS 10.7.3. any way possible right now, so far none work. Here is the error (right at the end of the process, everything else seems fine) using Macports:

—> Building synfig
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
Error: Failed to install synfig
Log for synfig is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_www.macports.org_files_ports_graphics_synfig/synfig/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: synfig
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

Can anyone help with this? Is it merely a question of write permission (in which case, where in the directory structure), or an error in the Macports “Synfig” script?

Thank you.
main.log (17 KB)

What command do you use to make the install, do you use sudo?

sudo port install synfigstudio

It took me a little bit to figure out that “synfig” is a dependency of “synfigstudio” and will (or rather, should, since that’s what doesn’t work) therefore be installed as well.

I had some trouble setting up Macports, I couldn’t use rsync and eventually found the workaround. However, since every other dependency gets installed fine, I don’t think this is the issue. I’d rather give up on the Macports installation process than open a ticket with them – I’ve been reading dozens of closed tickets, all dealing with the rsync issue, and the level of crankiness and sheer arrogance of the sysops – not to mention their unhelpfulness – is staggering. I’m surprised anyone (of us mere mortals) gets anything installed via Macports.

Evidently, the problem is “Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed”, but what it means – within the log – is beyond my level of knowledge.

I very much hesitate trying Fink – I’ve got Macports on one system and Homebrew on the other, but since Homebrew warns of having parallel compilers (is that the word), I’m “fully booked”.

Thanks for the reply! Mayhap this is easier to sort than it looks. :confused:

Try this:
Open terminal and run:

sudo port -v selfupdate

when that is done, run:

sudo port upgrade outdated

Now try: sudo port install synfigstudio

Let me know how it works.

/Ulrik

Well, this is my problem with selfupdate (using rsync):

—> Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Connection refused (61)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-42/rsync/clientserver.c(105) [receiver=2.6.9]
shell command “/usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs” returned error 10
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: shell command failed (see log for details)

(Mac firewall is off, but my router has firewall. If I should open a particular port, I can’t find any info on that)
Which is why I have been using sync. (changing the sources.conf as advised by Macports staff):

A current list of mirrors is available at trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors

rsync://trd.no.rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]

macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz [default]

This works fine.

“sudo port upgrade outdated” then returns “Error: No ports matched the given expression”; I assume this means whatever is installed (everything in synfigstudio except synfig), is current. The rest is the same:

sudo port install synfigstudio
—> Computing dependencies for synfigstudio
—> Dependencies to be installed: synfig
—> Building synfig
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
Error: Failed to install synfig

:cry:

I noticed on the last post of this 2011 thread exactly the same error, with no feedback after that. If this got resolved and you can find out how, maybe the answer lies there?

http://synfig.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2851&start=45

Ok, I am not very good at reading this kind of log messages I’m afraid :slight_smile: , I don’t know what is happening, sorry!
I’ll go to bed right now and I am really sorry it’s not working, I hope I’ll, or somebody with greater experience than me, will be able to help you with this issue!

All the best and good luck!

/Ulrik

Thanks for trying! Nighty-night. 8)