Mac Install help?

Can someone please help me install synfigstudios for Mac, 10.5.8, I am completely new at this, so could you tell me the easiest method to install it?
Thanks!

Hi, the easiest way to install Synfig for mac is to use “macport” (Since there is no Synfig installer for mac available)

On this side you’ll find how to install macport; macports.org/install.php
there is a link to download the install file for “Leopard”, (os 10.5), on the same side.
It will take a long time to make the install complete so be patient :slight_smile:

When the “macport” install is ready you have to run this commands in the “terminal”:

1. sudo port -v selfupdate
    this command will se to that macport and all installed will be up to date, it will take a while, when it’s ready then:
  2. sudo port install synfigstudio
    this will also take a long time since all dependencies will be installed.

When this is ready you open terminal and write “synfigstudio” and hit return and Synfig will start.

it says
Error: Couldn’t determine your Xcode version (from ‘/usr/bin/xcodebuild -version’).
Error:
Error: If you have not installed Xcode, install it now; see:
Error: guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html
Error:
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: unable to find Xcode
Error: Failed to install zlib
Log for zlib is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_archivers_zlib/zlib/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: gtkmm atkmm atk glib2 zlib glib2 gtk-doc docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.1.2 xmlcatmgr docbook-xml-4.2 docbook-xml-4.3 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 docbook-xml-5.0 docbook-xsl gnome-doc-utils intltool gnome-common pkgconfig pkgconfig p5.12-getopt-long p5.12-pathtools p5.12-scalar-list-utils p5.12-xml-parser iso-codes libxslt libxml2 libxml2 libxslt py27-libxml2 python27 bzip2 db46 libedit openssl python_select sqlite3 python27 rarian getopt glibmm libsigcxx2 cairomm cairo fontconfig freetype fontconfig libpixman libpng xorg-xcb-util xorg-libxcb xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-libpthread-stubs xorg-xcb-proto xrender xorg-libX11 xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans xorg-renderproto gtk2 gdk-pixbuf2 jasper jpeg tiff hicolor-icon-theme pango Xft2 shared-mime-info xorg-libXcomposite xorg-compositeproto xorg-libXext autoconf help2man p5.12-locale-gettext m4 automake libtool xorg-libXfixes xorg-fixesproto xorg-libXcursor xorg-libXdamage xorg-damageproto xorg-libXi xorg-libXinerama xorg-xineramaproto xorg-libXrandr xorg-randrproto pangomm synfig ETL ImageMagick ghostscript libidn libpaper xorg-libXt xorg-libsm xorg-libice lcms2 liblzma p7zip urw-fonts libmng lcms libxmlxx2 openexr ilmbase gsed
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

Is all I have to do install XCode? If so, is it okay to get a free developer account at Apple just to download xcode?

Hi, yes I’m sorry, I forgot about that you have to have Xcode installed, this link leads to Xcode 3.1.4 for leopard, to access the download you have to login, if you don’t have developer login or iTunes login then you can register for free.
developer.apple.com/downloads/d … perdvd.dmg

when i type “synfigstudio” it says this
synfig studio – starting up application…

Xlib: extension “RANDR” missing on display “/tmp/launch-9k82Ok/:0”.
synfig(77682) [16:27:08] info: Loading modules from /opt/local/etc/synfig_modules.cfg
synfigstudio: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server /tmp/launch-9k82Ok/:0.

and says “the application x11 quit unexpectedly”
Thanks for all the help! (sorry for being such a noob)

Ok, I’m sorry I don’t know what that means I can’t help you with that. :frowning:

It seems like an X server issue than a synfig issue.

Have you tried running:
sudo port -v selfupdate
after installation of Xcode?
You can also try running:
sudo port update outgraded

It didn’t work. :confused: Can you show me another way to download it?
Thanks.

Hi!
Download Xcode, synfig or what do you mean?

The only thing that differs my setup from yours I guess is, the os, you’re running 10.5 and I’m running 10.7, but I have had synfig running on Leopard as well before, and there is one more thing you could try. I have switched my original x11 app to xquartz version, if you want to try that this is a link to the leopard version of quartz x11 version:
xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.6.3

I wish I could help you more.

All the best / Ulrik

It quits randomly :frowning:

glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: error while reading from input stream

Trace/BPT trap

Thanks anyways!

What’s quitting unexpectedly? Synfig Studio?
-G