Import .sif-file

Hi,

Newbee here.

Made a drawing in inkscape 0.91 and saved it as .sif-file. Started Synfig Studio, chose ‘ímport’ te sif-file. In the layersbox I see a checked line with the path to the file and a frame with handles appears in the canvas (see attachment). According to guidelines I found searching for this problem I performed the import several times but with the same result.

Any suggestions?

Kindest regards, Leo

Hi!
And welcome to the forum.
Draw your art in Synfig. Draw your art in Synfig. Draw your art in Synfig… Sorry, old mantra. :smiley:
Which version of Synfig are you using? On Linux, Apple or Windows?
Is the Amount parameter of the imported sif in the Parameters panel set to 1? Did you try to save and reload the scene?
You can also attach the scene file including the imported inkscape sif so we can have a look at it.
Greetz!

Hi darkspace65,

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier but I expected a message from the admin for my first post here.

Windows 10
Inkscape 0.91
Synfig Studio 1.1.12 (followed the advice of BobSynfig’s signature))

The scene is still empty (canvas) since I just wanted to try to import a file.
No idea what you mean with: amount set to 1. In Inkscape, in Synfig?

I understand your mantra, on the other hand is inkscape easier to use AND I spent quite some time in the past few weeks to learn a little bit to work with it. You suggest to invest the time needed to learn drawing with Synfig I assume?

KR, Leo

Hi!
The closest thing to an active admin these days is Bobsynfig.
From what I read in your post you imported the sif because it is present in your Layers Panel. Click on it or open it with the white triangle and click on the imported file in the Layers Panel. Then check the Amount Parameter in the Parameters Panel. It should be in the left bottom under the Canvas Window.
Synfig does not support all the functions of Inkscape so if you are not using png and just uncomplicated vector graphics then I always advice to make them in Synfig. It is a good way of learning to work with the program. Of course you can do what ever you please. I use the same settings as you and I was able to import a sif from inkscape, but sometimes it also helps if you startup Inkscape again and save the sif file again and then try to import it again in Synfig. Don’t know if that is a bug in the Inkscape sif export or the Synfig import.
Greetz!

Okay, this is what I did.

Opened a new file in inkscape , drew a filled circle and saved it as .svg and as .sif.

Started up Synfig, opened a new file > import > circle.svg: in the layers-panel there is a 'group’listed now. Clicking the triangle opens ‘inline canvas’.
Next I chose ‘import’ > circle.sif: the path tot the file is in the layers panel. Whatever I click nothing opens. In the parameters dialog the amount (grootte) is set to 1.

I will start making drawings in Synfig but would like to get this working as well. I’ve seen videos showing this tric very clearly so I am very much surprised I cann’t get this working… for the moment.

KR, Leo

Hi!
This is what I did. Drew a circle in Inkscape. Saved as sif. Import in Synfig. Gives me an empty folder. Went back to Inkscape and converted the circle with ‘object to path’ shift-ctrl-c, I think. Saved as sif. Import in Synfig and the circle was visible.
Greetz!

Thanks, that worked.

KR, Leo

Hi darkspace65,

Hope you don’t mind me coming back to this.

I drew several shapes (4) in Inkscape, grouped them, set Object to Path, and saved the file as .sif. No problem importing this drawing into Synfig.

Than I opened a serious drawing I made in Inkscape, it was already grouped (some 10 elements), set ‘object to path’ and saved it as .sif. Importing in Synfig results in: nothing in the canvas, the path to the file in the layerbox etc.

By the way I tried this three times and two times Synfig closed down reporting it didn’t work properly anymore.

Looking forward to your comment.

KR, Leo

Hi!
Can you post the more elaborate SVG or its exported sif so that I can check if it imports in the stable version of Synfig. Maybe it has something to do with the build of the dev version.
Greetz!

Hope I am doing this the right way.

KR, Leo

monnik verkleind voor animatie.sif (199 KB)

Says ‘not downloaded yet’, so somethng will be wrong. Try again.

KR, Leo

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3880
monnik verkleind voor animatie.sif (199 KB)

Tried to open the link I dragged into the textbox. A black rectangle shows in the canvas, nothing in the Layers box and Synfig gives me the error: Synfig doesn’t respond.

Also tried this when the file seems to be downloaded (1 time) but with the same result.

??? KR, Leo

Hi!
Ik heb je link vd eerste post gedownload en de monnik (best wel namen zonder spaties gebruiken) kan ik zowel gewoon importeren als openen in 1.1.12. Hij staat wel naast het canvas, dus je ziet hem niet. Om hem zichtbaar te maken moet je je canvas uitzoomen en als je dan op de folder genoemd laag 1 klikt zie je een kader naast het canvas. Die moet je dan met de “Group Transformation Widget” http://wiki.synfig.org/Group_Transformation_Widget verplaatsen tot hij in beeld komt. Tussen haakjes: tekeningen zoals je monnik zijn perfect te maken in Synfig.
Greetz!

Sorry but I cann’t get it to work.

I made the original grouped drawing smaller, set ‘object to path’ and saved it as .sif. Importing the file into synfig gives me the path, clicked the triangle in front, and clicked layer 1. The transfor tool with the vertices and handles appears. If I try to do anything withit I ge the following message:
[quoteThe value you are trying to edit is in a composition
which doesn’t seem to be open. Open that composition and you
should be able to edit this value as normal.]

[/quote]
I’ve looked for a ‘group transformation widget’ but came up with nothing else than the vertices and handles, so I assume that is the widget. Unfortunately it doesn’t let me do anything with it.

KR, Leo

P.S. Synfig closed down on me again. Should I use another version, the stable version, even if it’s not recommended by BobSynfig?

Hi!
If you import a file into a new Synfig composition then the original scene must be open too in order to handle the imported file in the new scene.
To avoid that message it’s better to open the original file in another scene tab and then copy and past it into the new scene.
If you create a new scene and just file/open your monnik sif file you will be able to move it.
Greetz!

edit: If you make a circle in Synfig and save it as circle.sifz. If you reopen Synfig and open circle.sifz then you can do whatever you want with it. If you draw a square and save it as square.sifz and want to import circle.sifz into square.sifz then the scene circle.sifz has to be open too in order to handle it in Square.sifz. To avoid that you can open circle.sifz and square.sifz and just copy and past the circle from circle.sifz directly onto the canvas of Square.sifz, save and then close the circle.sifz file.