Help! (Request for contribution)

Hi! What do you mean by “the latest one”? Development snapshot or stable 0.64.1?

Yes, it’s stable 0.64.1. :smiley: (I can only test the Development Snapshot for my own curiosity, but not my workspace computer; too risky otherwise.)

OK, got it. Do you use cairo or software rendering?

Software rendering probably. Cairo seems to be turned off in the Synfig Studio Setup settings…

Does it crash at certain file/at certain operation?

I’m not actually sure; I guess I’m a bit unattentive with my processes while working, so I didn’t recognize the pattern. But it seems to happen spontaneously, randomly. If I vaguely remember anything, I “think” it seems to happen when I’m working with layers (either just clicking them, or adding some, or checking/unchecking visibility, etc.).

Zelgadis, any way I can find out what’s causing the problems? The crashes don’t even give me error messages. The software just “shuts down”.

So, I assume it is crashes for you more ofthen, than 0.64.0 (previous stable), right?
I mean, Synfig isn’t a bugfree, so it’s ok to see it crashing from time to time. :slight_smile: I guess in your situation the crashes happen often and randomly.
Also, assume that it crashes on various files.

My first suggestion is to try compile Synfig from source.
Just use following commands:

git clone https://github.com/synfig/synfig.git cd synfig git checkout origin/0.64.1 bash autobuild/synfigstudio-linux-build.sh

After the process is finished you can run compiled version using this command:

$HOME/synfig/bin/synfigstudio

Let me know if that makes any difference for you.

Running that last line there gave me this error:

[code]Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libdirectfb-dev : Depends: libjpeg-dev
libmng-dev : Depends: libjpeg-dev
libtiff4-dev : Depends: libjpeg-dev
[/code]

I’ll try to install them. XD Let’s see how it goes…

I keep cycling on dependencies here. Can’t seem to install Synfig from the GIT…

[code]Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libjpeg-turbo8-dev : Conflicts: libjpeg62-dev but 6b1-3ubuntu1.13.10.1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
[/code]

Hi! I have fixed the script for Ubuntu 13.10. Please download it from here - raw.github.com/synfig/synfig/ma … x-build.sh
Save it into “autobuild/synfigstudio-linux-build.sh” in “synfig” directory (replace the file).

Then run the last command again:

bash autobuild/synfigstudio-linux-build.sh

I hope this help.

It works! Haha! Thanks! :smiley:

I’ll work with it, and see if it causes any more crashes.

Okay, it crashed again. :confused: Here’s what I got from the terminal:

[code]synfig(18118) [12:49:32 IST] warning: layer_pastecanvas.cpp:466 bounding box shrank while rendering?
synfig(18118) [12:49:32 IST] warning: layer_pastecanvas.cpp:466 bounding box shrank while rendering?

synfig(18118) [12:49:52 IST] warning: layer_pastecanvas.cpp:466 bounding box shrank while rendering?
synfig(18118) [12:49:52 IST] warning: layer_pastecanvas.cpp:466 bounding box shrank while rendering?
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
ganesh@ganesh-PC:~/synfig$

[/code]

Can you look for the core file that was generated? I think it should be on the same dir as synfigstudio executable:

$HOME/synfig/bin/core

Might want to compress it before uploading it though (they tend to be big but shrink a lot when compressed).

Hmm… I can’t find the core file… i.imgur.com/pRr4DLa.png

Is it because I started working on the project again after the crash? Does the core file disappear after that?

It shouldn’t disappear. Maybe it is on different directory, did you launch synfig from a different dir? It might be over there instead.

Other thing you can do is check:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern

If the output of that command points to some specific dir then the core file might be there.

If you can’t find the core file then maybe it was not generated. On that case you can use this command before launching synfig:

ulimit -c unlimited

To force the core file to be generated. You would have to reproduce the crash again though.

In case you’re wondering, the core file is a snapshot of the program’s memory just before it crashed. It is very helpful to debug the cause of the crash.

I was using the same Synfig folder which Zelgadis asked me to use, but there was no core file… In any case, I’ll try running Synfig with the second command and see once it crashes. Until then, I’ll leave this information here: Running the first Cat command gave me this output –

ganesh@ganesh-PC:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern |/usr/share/apport/apport %p %s %c

Is that of any significance?

Got it! Here you go. Is this it? copy.com/9eFCnRiJEHmt
When it crashed (thanks to the command you gave me), I found this in the Synfig folder, not the bin. XD Basically $HOME/synfig

tushantin:

1. Please don’t paste long outputs here. Use services like pastebin.com/ for that.
  2. Please provide a statistics - how often the crashes happen for you? Once a hour? Twice a hour?

Okay… sorry.

The time-scale is usually random. Sometimes in two hours, sometimes within 15 mins.