Help with Z Depth Between Groups

Hello, I’m beating my head trying to figure this out.

If I have two groups of multiple layers, let’s say Group1 with Z of 0 and with three layers and Group2 with Z of 1 and with three layers, each layer within each group has a Z of 0,1,2.

How can I move the third layer of Group2 in front of the first layer of Group1?

When I adjust the Z Depth parameter of Group2 layer 3 it only moves it in relation to the other layers within that same group.

Is it possible to move a layer from one group in front of a layer from another group that has a lower Z?

Thank you for any help.
-Steve

nope. There’s no way to do that. You gotta plan before grouping the layers.

OK, thanks.

I’m new to this and that brings up a follow up question.

Can I ungroup the layers?
I imagine that ungrouping them now would tend to mess up the layer order and affect previous saved keyframes?

Thanks again.

[edit] I’m creating several scenes to then bring into a kdenlive project. I think that I’ll just do a final render of this scene up to this point and then mess it up by ungrouping the layers and creating the rest of this scene as a separate animation.

you can ungroup the layers by dragging and dropping them out of the group.

There is another way to work with layer organization: It’s a Layer Set. It’s in another dock. Maybe you could try it.

Hi rodolforg,
If I understand your suggestion correctly, using the Layer Sets would benefit me for organizing layers into a group while leaving each layer as a separate item in the Layers dock, not grouping them, and therefor not running into the problem that my original post described. ?

Thanks.
If you’re a/the developer of the Synfig program, thanks for your work.