Gradients...

Hi everyone.

So I’ve recently started using Synfig, and I’ve already run in to a little road block. I’m very used to using Corel products, but generally don’t use Adobe stuff, so maybe that’s where the problem is as Synfig seems a lot more similar to the way Adobe flash works.

The thing I’m trying to do is create a circle, filled with a gradient, so it looks like a spot light, with a fall off to the second, darker colour near the edge, all the way around, but all the circles I create just come out as single colour, even though I define the gradient in the colour section of the circle in it’s properties.

Any help on how to do this would be gratefully appreciated please.

Included is a sample of the sort of thing I’m trying to achieve. The light is a little ‘fuzzy’ around the edge, like a spot light would be.
Spot-light.jpg

follow this tuto: synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Adding_Layers

If you don’t find the solution for the problem, please share the sifz file here and we will take a look.
-G

Ok, thank you both. I’ll have a little twiddle later :slight_smile:

That works fine. Thank you. I’m experimenting and playing around a lot now, to see what I can do with the funky effects.

Are most of the graphical effects in Synfig achieved through functions like these?

Yes, in Synfig, layers are applied in a stack combination way. They are evaluated from bottom to top, compositing or blending them in a stack. Also there are filter layers, transformation layers and distortion layers that do the same: take a context (layers below), apply some kind of effect, and passes up the result to the next layer on the stack. Layer’s scope is always the canvas where it is. So if a layer is inside a Paste Canvas layer its effect is stopped by the Paste Canvas inner scope. The results of the layers inside the Paste Canvas layer is treated as a layer when composited with other layers in the same level as the Paste Canvas. Finally there is a root canvas where the composition ends and gives you the result.
-G