Google Summer of Code 2010

Hi!
Although we are in a hurry, this year we have a great opportunity to enter into GSoC 2010. I’ve contacted a few months ago with a student who is willing to work with Synfig code and to implement a big improvment. I’ve proposed him to continue uiomae’s opengl implementation and he is very enthusiastic on that.
There is an opportunity to get Synfig involved in GSoC and to get impulse for the future.
So this email is for asking help on the organization of the application:
We need confirmation for the following roles:

1. Organization administrator. Zelgadis has self nomiated
  2. At last one mentor. I (genete) can be mentor of one or two ideas to implement. Specifically I will be mentor for the student
  3. Admin backp (undefined and propsed pixelgeek)
  4. At last one mentor backup (I’ve asked Yoyobuae and nikitakit. Not full confirmation from any of them)

Also the ideas list should be narrowed and better described, including associated mentor for each.
Here are some handy links:

Current draft for the organization application form answers:
synfig.org/wiki/GoogleSoC#Draft_application

Application form:
socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org_app … 010/orgapp

FAQs:
socghop.appspot.com/document/sho … c2010/faqs

User guide:
socghop.appspot.com/document/sho … /userguide

Please feed back as soon as possible. Dead time is next 12th

Thanks

I don’t have the coding chops to be a mentor, but if you need writing/organizational support, I could volunteer.

Matt

Yup - Count me in.

Chris

As I seem to have confused the wiki right now, my LinkID is pixelgeek (pxe (dot) geek at g mail (dot) com)

Also, all the dates need to be updated to reflect that we’re submitting for 2010, not 2008 :slight_smile:
Chris

Hey Matt,
thanks for the offer. I think that for writing and organization there is not so much work but a narrow time. Basically the draft for the answers of the questions of the applying form is ready. Maybe you can read it and add your opinion (in a non destructive way) in the wiki to perfection the answer.
I believe that zelgadis will submit this evening. If not I’ll submit this night. We can alter the form answers until the last due day.
-G

Thanks pixelgeek. The wiki is not mandatory for the entry. It is just a help for fill the form and a discussion platform. Only the ideas list can be eventually useful as it can be the used list that the google people could see for reference.
-G

I didn’t read synfig within the accepted organisations. Does this mean it won’t be supported?
Did Google send you reasons for not accepting synfig? I’m very sorry for the project that’s why I’m asking.

And though I can’t give much, but is there reason and possibility to donate?

We weren’t accepted as mentor organization. I don’t know if they send any reason for not being accepted because I was not the one who send the form and I guess that the possible reply was given to the admin person (Zelgadis).

Regarding to donations you can donate to the project in a donation area I enabled for Synfig here: synfig.org/wiki/Donations but the reason for the donation has mainly disappear nowadays. We don’t need any money to defray the server because it is now in tuxfamily now. Donate to tuxfamily is a good idea if you want to help synfig.
I accept donations in my sourceforge account but donations is not a encouragement for me to work for synfig project.

If you really want to help you can:
Start by using synfig, improve the wiki where you find holes, help on translate the wiki to your language or localize synfig to your language, report the bugs to the bugs tracker and do smart feature request when applicable, participate on the monthly challenges or improve the artwork of Synfig Studio, send some patches to the code and even become a developer. Give a help on administrate the site, moderate the forums, keep clean the wiki, or write news articles on the website is also help the Synfig Proyect… Promote synfig on your local town, keep in contact with your local university and its open source group, give live talks, write tutorials, record video tutorials, join the chat and reply to the occasional, help newbies in the forum…
Obviously, some of those tasks (specially the administrative ones) need some demonstration of long term interest on help the Synfig Project.

-G

I didn’t read synfig within the accepted organisations. Does this mean it won’t be supported?
Did Google send you reasons for not accepting synfig? I’m very sorry for the project that’s why I’m asking.

And though I can’t give much, but is there reason and possibility to donate?

IIRC, Google didn’t told us the reason for non accepting. It means that Synfig won’t participate on GSoC but we don’t stop working on Synfig development as you can see in the next close release.

There is a donation button on the front page of the website. It is currently for general donation for the Synfig Project, with no specific target. In a short time we will release a donation system based on targets where donors and developers can join efforts on particular aspects of the application to improve. It would be similar to GsoC but in a small and particular level.

Thanks for your support.
-G

I think announcing target based donations would improve the chance of donations.

We have a targeted donation system prepared. Probably will be launched after the summer.
-G