Hello

Attacking again! :slight_smile:

Something related to these days, the animation is here:
http://fav.me/d763hbg

The procces was kind of difficult, or complex to be more exact
feb heart 02d.0086.png

Good open source tool chain!
-G

a new puzzle filter in the great gmic suite could help you in that kind of art…

gmic 1.5.8.3 release announce (in french)

Hello:
Thanks for your comments

My reflection: that is possible thanks to the SVG format: It can be exported and/or imported to the three programs. Let’s do more of that!

Thanks for the links. In some moment I will have to investigate more about that.
I also noted the gif animation done with that software:
http://www.gimpchat.com/files/196_puzzle-animation-1.0.gif
In my “objective point of view”, I have to say that my puzzle animation is better: The pieces have more movement. Allthough animating a puzzle of a photograph with the proccess I follow could be more difficult. In some part, in some program the photograph should have to be “clipped” to each piece.

And this is the tedious part to the animation: To have to do a repetitive task for each piece. I’ve been thinking about that, and I believe it can be done using scripting or a “macro”. Is there more information about that, it can be done in synfig?

There’s a way using Duplicate layer.

The idea is to use an object to mask part of the photograph, this will make a single piece. Then using duplicate layer to generate the other pieces (each will mask a different part of the photograph). It’s as if the photograph was duplicated several times, each time cutting a piece of it and placing it on canvas.

Animating all of the pieces is easy if the animation is the same for each piece (but each piece can be offset in space and maybe time).

There’s also the possibility of animating each piece individually, but its a bit more work.

Sorry for this late answer. Your first idea, using the duplicate layer, I’m afraid that I don’t get it. Using the duplicate layer will make copies of the same piece. But a puzzle is composed of diferent pieces’s shapes.
The second idea seems to have more probabilities, but it’s a lot of work, let’s say that we want a puzzle of 9 pieces:

• Import the image
  • Duplicate 9 times
  • For each duplicate, mask with a different piece shape.
  • Align them
    -Group each one
  • For each piece group apply an animation… In this case convert the origin of the group in random…

Duplicate layer allows each copy to be different, via use of the Index parameter.

Actually the “second idea” is also using duplicate layer.

There’s a trick that can be used to manipulate each duplicate copy individually. It goes something like this:

• From time 0s to time 10s place the mask at position 1
  • From time 10s to time 20s place mask at position 2 (constant interpolation)
  • From time 20s to time 30s place mask at position 3 (constant interpolation)
  • Repeat for N pieces
  • Apply duplicate layer and substract -10s from each subsequent copy
  • Now all the masked pieces display at the same time from 0s to time 10s

It’s as if the duration time was a long piece of string, which then is cut into N pieces then each piece placed on top of the other. Each piece can be animated on it’s own “time slice” using standard methods.

I want to make a video of how this works, but haven’t had the time to do it yet.