E-learning project

Hi folks,

As you mave have seen in my introduction post, my name’s Tony and I’m a ph.d. candidate in political science. I’m currently producing my first attempt at some e-learning material. First up is a presentation of a study I’ve written and presented a conference last year. It’s doesn’t go into any depth, the idea is more to make the viewer interested in my research and to show my department how open source software and public distribution channels such as Youtube can be used to distribute e-learning material.

Since I don’t have much time to spend on this, I’m re-using graphics that I’ve already used in a previous PowerPoint presentation. Consequently, it’s not much of an animation, more a slideshow with animated parts. In the future, I intend to include more animated elements.

I’m not too happy with the narration track, but it’ll have to suffice for now. Next time I’ll prepare more in terms of throat/speech warm-up, and perhaps try to use a better microphone. I originally had a clip that was 9:38, but I used Avidemux to divide it into two parts (since rendering takes so long). I hope they’re not too dull. The idea is to embed them on a web page that has some extra text and graphics, but hopefully they’re at least comprehendable as stand-alone products.

Part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=X3Ytdh8i … 1360921099
Part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=JmVybBoG … 1360921099

It’s nice to know that Synfig is being used for e-learning.

I just would advice you to try to use rendered images of the texts, instead of the text layer itself.
Unless you’re going to animate the text using its parameters, and if you only want to move it as a whole thing and modify its opacity, you better render the text lines to images and re-import the images to Synfig for its animation. Alternatively you can produce the text in Inkscape and export it as vector layers to sif (synfig) format, and then do whatever you want with it in Synfig.

We are aware that the text rendering of the Text layer in Synfig is not very good and it produces bad kerning when you scroll the text (horizontally or vertically) slowly. We apologize about that.

-G

Thanks for the advice, I just assumed that using text layers would result in better quality. Next time I’ll heed your advice and produce my text in Gimp instead. It will probably save some time too.

yep,

comprehensible as stand-alone products.
I’m not english native (if someone still have doubt), and i think i understood some general ideas, but where kind of losted during the graphs of captain damages.

I like the way you did the first part , smooth animation of the background and short text to highlight relevant part of your presentation.

Waiting next part of History,
see(y:a!