Bitmap-to-vector

Hello.

I would just like to ask if bitmap-to-vector conversion would be useful for some of you, for example what Autotrace (autotrace.sourceforge.net/) does. A tool that would allow you to draw on an invisible surface with pressure sensitivity, then vectorize the pixels (like Flash’s native brush tool). What do you think about it? Do you think it would be an unnecessary feature?

If there is already a drawing tool like that in Synfig, I apologize. :confused:

Thanks,
Charlie

It would be very interesting although I wouldn’t do using current native Region layer. For that it would be needed to create some sort of boolean shape that allows to do operations with the consecutive strokes. So it is not only the bitmap to vector utility needed there, but a lot of more core design to do for the vector paint support.

In any case I think it is a waste of time to do that way:

1. Read device values (position, pressure, etc)
  2. With the current brush create the bitmap footage
  3. With autotrace convert it to vector

I think that once you get the device values and the brush it is better to convert it directly to vector instead of covert it to bitmap and then to vector.

1. Read device values (position, pressure, etc)
  2. With the current brush create the vector result.

-G

I think there are definitely opportunities for some sort of bitmap to vector conversion e.g. for scanned pictures, for vectorizing photos, for painting regions of uniform colors… I made some experiments way back - see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11&hilit=autotrace

Rgds,
Chris