Bevel without any Light Angle

Hello. I’m making some experiments with my characters in order to add some detail to them.
I would like to give them an outline, but I can hardly use a BLine since it would give problems with the Cut-Out animation (which I mainly use).
I tried, then, to simulate the Outline BLine with a Bevel layer configured this way:

[size=85]The Bevel settings[/size]

This gave to the character a sort of outline, but just in the Light Angle of the Bevel layer. So, to compensate, I tried to add another Bevel, with the same setting but with the opposite Light Angle.
The result is more or less what I wanted, but I absolutely don’t like the intricate way I obtained it… It’s a botch!

[size=85]The new character with the double Bevel[/size]

I thought a Bevel without any Light Angle could solve my problem. Is it possible to do that on Synfig?
Otherwise, how can I simulate an Outline BLine without using a BLine?
I hope someone can help me… :confused:

Use a Bline. Sorry, but that shouldn’t interfere with your cut-outs if done right. For example, you don’t need to have an arm totally surrounded by outline, or you can use the advanced outline to remove the width. This way at the shoulder the body region and the shoulder can just blend.

Blines will also give you any shadows you need by controlling the thickness and the amount.

Sorry if this isn’t what you wanted to hear, but… wait, one more idea.

Looking again at what you were doing, I would start be using a gradient layer over your region. Then you can pick colour, intensity all that, PLUS it will be easy to animate if you ever want to. Use a black&“alpha” gradient at .2 amount over your face region OR use the right colours as the gradient and apply it “Straight onto” the region. Using a curved gradient would even let you follow the coutures of the face!

Try Shadow layer without offset, behind blend method, feather of say 5 pixels and amount to be 50 or so. That amount would make the feather opaque and so it would act like a contour.

Use outlines if your doing your artwork with regions, otherwise try the shadow thing.

-G

Michael, a Curve Gradient may work but I’d prefer something more… automatic! :smiley:

Genete, I tried with Shadow layer configured as you said, but I didn’t find any feather parameter in it. Anyway, wouldn’t a Shadow layer result black? I rather need to darken the existing colors. That’s why I tried with Bevel first.

I guess I’ve to experiment for a little while yet…
Thanks anyway guys. :wink:

Wanna race? :wink:

You should be able to set the colour of the shadow or apply a colour to it “straight onto”.

“Feather” will be found on the encapsulation for your shadow layer + colour.

Ehm… I didn’t find Feather parameter neither in the encapsulation. :confused:

It doesn’t work well for sharp outer corners but it might work for image layers.

It was the Shadow size the thing to modify. I’m sorry for the confusion.
-G
shadow-as-outline.sifz (1022 Bytes)

I just realized the answer to your problem… and some of mine! Under tool options for the bline tool you can just check “curved gradient” and uncheck bline outline and region. You can set the default blend to “straight onto” as well. You will find no better or easier way of shading a 2d object. I’m going to take advantage of this myself! :slight_smile:

No problem. Thanks for your example. I think that’s useful but, unfortunately, not exactly what I need right now. :confused:
I can’t use black for my characters’ outlines, nor use a different shade for each color… I rather need something I can overlap to the regions’ edge and, setting it with a black color and low amount, use to darken the regions’ colors.
Maybe I should reconsider the use of BLines, or work on Michael’s suggestion. Thanks anyway. :slight_smile:

Great! Very useful for not linear shades. I have to work on it. Not really “automatic”, indeed, but it’s worth a try. :wink:
Thank you!