Animation rendering

Hi everyone,

Can you please suggest me the best settings for having the best video/ rendering result?

Can you also please suggest the best free editor to edit the video?

Thanks in advance.

This is a good subject, but sadly there’s no a good topic, or better, a wiki page that would summarize all information about rendering with Synfig. D.j.a.y posted a “call for writer” some time ago, but no one wants/able to step into and thus we still don’t have a wiki page about it :frowning:

I can only share my own knowledges about it (and they’re poor):

1. Don’t set “Quality” parameter less than 3 (default). You likely won’t notice any difference in video quality, but rendering process will be increased.

2. Don’t set “Anti-Aliasing” parameter greater than 1. Rendering time will be increased significally, but effect on quality will be highly noticeable.

3. Don’t set “Frames per seconds” greater than 24. You only need to set it greater if your scene involves many moving objects (the scene is very dynamic).

4. If you use Windows it’s better to render your animation using “Target” set to ffmpeg and “Parameters -> Available video codecs” set to “Windows Media Video 8”. Then you can use “Movie Maker” to edit your animation. It’s free video editor from Microsoft. Average functionality, but interface is user-friendly and simple.

Thank you…Thank you for sharing your knowledge…this is precious advice :slight_smile:

How about image size? For better quality youtube video

Thanks in advance

Well, it depends on many things… You have to determine what screens you’re targeting. The following are the most used resolutions:

• 640x480 or 800x600 (aspect ratio 4:3) and 640×360 or 854×480 (aspect ratio 16:9). A small size of resulted video, but the quality of video is not suitable for watching in fullscreen on most monitors. Good for YouTube without going fullscreen.

• 1024x768 (aspect ratio 4:3) and 1280×720 aka HD 720p (aspect ratio 16:9). Good for a regular monitor (17"/19") to watch in fullscreen.

• 1400×1050 or 1600×1200 (aspect ratio 4:3) and 1920×1080 aka Full HD 1080p (aspect ratio 16:9). A big size of video file, but quality is very good. You should choose it only if you want your animation to be watched on big TV screens.

But I am from the CRT era, when monitors had aspect ratio 4:3 and now I see that many LCD monitors has 5:4 or 16:9 aspect ratio, so I am not sure people still uses 4:3 screens as target.

thanks for the information

That didn’t work alas :frowning: …All I got was one single rendered image… :unamused:

Ah, don’t worry. You just forgot to specify a correct filename extension. When using the above target you have to add a ‘.wmv’ extension to the end of the filename and don’t use spaces in path.

Correct example for ‘Filename’ parameter using ‘ffmpeg/Windows Media Video 8’: C:\Temp\Animation.wmv

oh thanks… :slight_smile:

ok so this helped me out a lot. However synfig tells me the file has rendered but it doesn’t not appear as though the file has been created.

anyone know the problems here

thanks

Let me guess… You’re using the new Synfig 1.0 release candidate, right? If so, then look at ‘Filename’ parameter in Render dialog. It must not contain any spaces in the path. This is a Synfig bug.

For example:
Filename: Synfig Animation 1.wmv - Wrong. Will not create any files.
Filename: C:\MyAnimation.wmv - Correct.

yeah im using the latest version… problem solved! You have been a great help to me so far so thank you very much

Hi svarov, i have copied and pasted some of your words in the wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Rendering_Walk_Through page :wink:

Thanks, d.j.a.y!

Are you the only one who cares about documentation for now? :slight_smile:
Well, I would like to help but I don’t know English very well and I never wrote a single wiki article. Maybe someday…