Animating 2 stickman with "crossing" & bones like

Hello,
I’m (new to synfig) using synfig to make some martial art posture memento. After some confusing times trying to understand how synfig works, I managed to get some results.

Since there is no bone tool for the moment (I will compile and test the bone version soon) I tried to figure out how to do it other way.
It used this template : morevnaproject.org/2010/08/27/st … ment-10704

The first problem is that : when I copy/paste the model the get a second one (the opponent) all the positions are linked, and the 2 stickman are always in the same posture. This is a problem.

The second problem is that I would like to draw “crossings”, wich means : le leg of the stickman is in ABOVE of the oponent while the forearm would be in BESIDE those of the oponent.
I tried to play with zdept, but i get very strange results (when I set negative values) and it didn’t work at all.

Can some body help me ? I’m realy lost.
stickman.sif (448 KB)

For the first problem you must create the second character in an independant file and import it into the first one.
For the second problem you just have to create duplicates of the limbs that needs to be interlaced and link them. Remember that if it is done in a separated canvas it can be also done by copy and paste. The links to the stickman template should then keep the document path and will be independent of the other template although they have the same name of the template parameters.

I don’t have much more time now to deep look the interesting problem due to some tasks I need to do with the new release.
In any case, welcome to Synfig forums yoann.babel!
-G

Thank you very much for the wuick answer. It help me.
Don’t worry for me. I’m glad to know there is a new release soon :slight_smile:

So I did the import. Now I have 2 independent stickman. Great.

On the other hand, I tried to do the overlaping with copy and paste, and then changing the z depth of the newly created leg (in this case).
But the result is very strange.
The new z depth is not taken in account. Wether I try on the red stickman or the black one.
More over, when I set a negative value to the depth, the segment is misplaced, translated to another origin.

I renamed “stickBUG” the two copied bspline segements so that they are more easy to find.
stickman.sif (461 KB)

Up
I’m still stucked.

If you can wait some days I could try to give you support on that.
-G

Yes sure !
Thanks a lot.

Is it time to ask again ?

Sorry but I still busy.
Anyway I can’t open the second stickman file. Can you take the file into an external folder and check that you cannot open it unless you provide the files it depends on?
http://imagebin.org/120402
-G

here it is. I didn’t know I had to upload “imported” files too…
stickman (copie).sif (247 KB)
stickman (autre copie).sif (224 KB)

still nobody to help me ? I have no clue on how to do “overlaping” (crossing of figures)
is it so unusual ?

It has some limitations:

Say you have a stickman with control valuenodes exported (angles and positions of the limbs etc.) and copy and paste it in another file, the modifications made in the file that imports the stickman won’t be grabbed in the hard disk file unless the original file is opened at the same time.

Once considered it, to perform the crossing of the two stickmans should be like this:

1. Open both stickmans files.
  2. Copy and paste one of the stickmans paste canvas to the other document. It will copy the layers but not the valuenodes that still belonging to the original file.
  3. Save both files.
  4. Cut and paste the limbs that you want to cross to be in the right place relative to each stickman.
  5. As the stickman templates have a “Center” translate layer on the top of its structure you have to create another translate layer to restore the translation of the moved file to the untranslated position and create another Translate layer to clone the translation of the original moved layer.

Let’s explain better this last step:

After copy the stickman 2 into stickman’s 1 document:

Stickman 1
-Center 1
-Limb11
-Limb12

Stickman 2
-Center 2
-Limb21
-Limb22

Move Limb22 into stickman 1 structure:

Stickman 1
-Center 1
-Limb11
-Limb22
-Limb12

Stickman 2
-Center 2
-Limb21

The Limb22 is out of place…
Adding a inverse of Center 1 and applying a clone of Center 2 should place Lim22 correctly.

Stickman 1
-Center 1
-Limb11
-Folder for Limb22
–Center 2
–Inverse of Center 1
–Limb22
-Limb12

Stickman 2
-Center 2
-Limb21

To work with both stickmans you always have to open both files because they are linked.

-G

thank you for taking time to answer.
It more complicated than I thought… I would never have found by myself !

I finally give up with my animation 6 month ago.
But now, I see in the roadmap that bones have finally come to live : synfig.org/wiki/Dev:Roadmap

really ???
I have downloaded 0.63.RC and installed it, but I find “bones” nowhere in the interface neither in tools / layers.

Have I missed something ?
If bones are really there, I think many user will be interested with a small tutorial, including me, to make “stick figures” more easily.
I still want to do “crossings” too, but last time, it was too complicated for my “small brain”.

It has been postponed to later release. That Roadmap has not been updated. Sorry for the wrong hopes.
-G