2D fluid simulation?

Via BlenderGuru, I saw this:

grantkot.com/MPM/Liquid.html

I wonder if this could be incorporated into Synfig?

Matt

That is just … wow!! :open_mouth: Very realistic looking.

But it doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that synfig should implement natively.

Now, if some program could transform the dot matrix into SVG paths representing the water body (and perhaps individual dropplets once they start splashing), then they could be imported into synfig.

Realistic? It would be realistic if every drop wouldn’t stay from each other for kilometers (blue pane instead of dots). I know it is called “Dot matrix”, but dots are too far away from each other for being realistic.

@darkhog: I’m pretty sure that Yoyobuae is talking about the the underlying physical simulation looking realistic. The dot matrix representation itself is obviously primitive and would need to be built upon to be useful - a point that Yoyobuae addresses.

I was wondering if the dot matrix density distribution could be used as the basis for a noise-type gradient. Might be a cool way to utilize this in Synfig itself. Of course, I have no idea how to do that. :smiley:

Matt

Dots are much better for visualizing the fluid motion, which is what it’s meant to represent.

By realistic I meant that one can form waves the rise up and crash like real waves on a beach. This is the first time I’ve seen a fluid motion model that can reproduce that sort of behavior.

As for displaying a solid body of water instead, that’s just graphical “make-up” that can be applied later.