Installing Synfig on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Hello, I’m having trouble installing Synfig on my Macbook Pro.
I download the .dmg file, press open, once it finishes verifying the file, the Synfig icon just bounces on the dock until I force quit.
I installed XQuartz but it didn’t help.

Hi and welcome here :slight_smile:

Please check it is not coming from GateKeeper, XQuartz is not needed anymore
wiki.synfig.org/Doc:Troubleshoot … fig_on_OSX
synfig.org/cms/en/news/nativ … e-testing/

youtube.com/watch?v=0rXHm_-Ofo0

Don’t forget you could use the latest dev builds :wink:

Thank you for the help but it still won’t run. I don’t have a verification issue. When I press open and it gets verified, it just bounces on the dock.
Nothing opens. I tried the new development build and the same thing happens. Any other solution maybe? Do I have to install macports?

Depending the version you can try the MacPorts (for 1.0.2, which outdated and not recommended)
Another “safe” option is to use a VirtualBox with a Linux distro inside, you can even use seamless mode to have Synfig “floating” in your Mac environment.
As this Mac OS X is relatively new, you could try to build Synfig from scratch, the DMG could have been produced with an outdatedset of libraries.
Try to start synfigstudio from a console, you may have error messages giving us more details :wink:

It opened! All I did was restart the computer and it started working for some reason. Didn’t even change anything.
Thank you for the help!

Another proof Mac OS X and Windows are converging :mrgreen:
Have fun with Synfig!

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem.

I’m using a MacBook Pro with 10.11.6. Same problem as Kablam described.

Have this problem with both Synfig Studio 1.4.2 and 1.4.3.

Does not appear to be a verification issue.

The Mac OS X install is a clean install so there shouldn’t be any conflicts.

On a newer MacBook Pro, I have the same 10.11.6 setup in a virtual machine. Synfig Studio opens and runs in that VM. So, I don’t know why it won’t run on the other MacBook Pro that has a normal 10.11.6 install.

Would appreciate any tips. While I could run it in the VM, I’d prefer to get it working on the MacBook Pro with 10.11.6 installed as that is my test machine.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome here :slight_smile:
Did you have any error message from the console? (see Troubleshooting_Synfig_on_OSX )
Are the 2 installs with the same bitness and archi? (32/64…)
In a VM, the hardware is emulated, in general enough generic/compatible, maybe some missing drivers on the physical install?

Hi,

The two installs are both 64-bit. Both Intel. The real machine has 4 GB of RAM while the VM only has 2 GB.

In Terminal, if I use “/tmp/skl/SynfigStudio/Contents/Resources/synfig/bin/synfigstudio” I get “No such file or directory.”

The problem report after SynfigStudio crashes says:
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Code:: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

If any drivers are missing, I don’t know what they might be. I did a standard install for both the physical machine and the VM.

Thanks!

Please check this thread maybe you will find the solution, therewas the same error:

I’m guessing 1.4.x is not going to run on this machine. It’s a 2007 MacBook Pro, which is possibly the same model used by the OP in the thread you linked. I haven’t tried downloading 1.2.2 to see if it works, but I suspect it would.