Crashing all the time (2009)

I know there’s many post about synfig crashing and all that, but I’m tired of looking through them. Synfig crashing is driving me fricken crazy, I try to do the simplest thing, the simplest test or check, and bam it crashes and pisses me off because I have to waste more time. I don’t use that affinity setting thing, but I go on the task manager and change it to only one of my cores every time I open it. Is there any other way to prevent this that I should know about that doesn’t require me to try to figure out exactly when and why it’s happening?

By the way, I don’t think I even could figure out when and why it happens, it just happens every once in a while, it always has to, ever since I first used it doing simple stuff. The animation I’m working on now has a little more to it, but come on, this is just getting aggravating.

Please provide:
-Synfig version
-OS version
-PC details
-Steps to reproduce the crash.

I’ve tested synfig 0.62.00 in a dual core with 2 MB ram and Windows Vista Home Premmium 32 bits and it works reasonably smooth after set affinity to one core.
Thanks
-G

Synfig Version: 0.61.09
Other Info: 2.40 GHz Intel Quad Core
3.25 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 graphics card

About the crash: There’s not much to say, it does it often at many different times. I have noticed however that it usually happens when looking through frames(moving the little time-line bar to different spots). It also happens sometimes when I play the video too, it doesn’t really crash when I’m messing with layers anymore, sometimes it crashes out of no where for what seems to be no particular reason, it also has crashed when I loaded the project before a few times.

This couldn’t have anything to do with me setting the affinity to 1 core right when it starts instead of using that program that keeps it like that right?

That enough info?

You must use a program to set the affinity. I don’t know that XP can handle that correctly.
Please use one of the mentioned applications for affinity settings listed here:

And let us know the result
-G

It still crashes…
Maybe even more often, I even tried cleaning my registry to see if maybe there was some type of problem with it.
I think the only time it crashed a little bit ago, was when I loaded it, when I played it, and when I was moving through the frames. I might not have even used it enough for it to crash anywhere else, also, it doesn’t usually crash in animating mode, it’s usually when it’s out of that.
I really wish it would stop doing this, the animation I’m making should take no time, but it’s took days because of all the wasted time and repeated actions. All I wanted is some simple animation software, all i even do is stick animations, just wanted something other than pivot because it sucks and I had something good a long time ago but it’s not free, and this is better.

Wait a second, might have discovered something.

How about if me loading the same animation that I keep having problems with is why it won’t work and I should start a new one.
Could this problem animation be messed up or something?

Because I made another animation, there’s not much to it and it’s thrown together, but it hasn’t crashed yet. After playing it and going through the frames, and adding layers and things, it still hasn’t crashed. There might be hope yet, I’ll get back to you later.

Wait a second, might have discovered something.

How about if me loading the same animation that I keep having problems with is why it won’t work and I should start a new one.
Could this problem animation be messed up or something?

Because I made another animation, there’s not much to it and it’s thrown together, but it hasn’t crashed yet. After playing it and going through the frames, and adding layers and things, it still hasn’t crashed. There might be hope yet, I’ll get back to you later.

Want to post the crashy one and we can play with it?

I’m having the same problem with mine. Here are the specs.
Synfig Version: 0.62.00 (latest)
Other Info: 2.89 GHz AMD Athlon II X2 245 Dual Core
1.75 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics

Maybe I should try the programs allowing me to run on one processor instead of two? If this is the case, which one out of the list would be best for my PC?

You MUST do it.
I’ve tested it with Set Affinity II v1.038 from edgemeal.110mb.com/index.htm
It works fine in a Pentium 4 dual core with XP
-G

Or try the latest Windows build I posted, which is working without the CPU affinity program on my PC. (Make sure you cleanly uninstall previous installations of synfig, including deleting the settings file in your c:\users<login>\Synfig dir )

I’ve only had one person try it so far, and haven’t been able to walk them through their findings.
Chris

So, would the exact same software work on my machine? Or do I have to download one of the others?

When I installed the set affinity application I just read the recommendation given by the software wuthor and followed his reccomendations. You should do the same for your hardware.

Also it is worth to help us on testing the new windows version that pixelgeek has mentioned in the previous post to allow us to release that version to the main branch. At the moment it is on the experimental version and you (the Microsoft Windows users) should be the most interested on have a version that doesn’t depend on external applications.
I just tested it on one computer that is not mine because my primary computer is a linux based one.
-G

It did for a while until I opened some of the example files stored in Program Files\Synfig\Examples\ If this happens by just opening, maybe it’ll do the same when I’m working on it :frowning:

i use windows 10 32 gb ram and synfig crashes evry 30 secs

This thread is 11 years old, I doubt the crash is for the same reasons